Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
Glad to help you. Options
john wilkerson
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2003 6:36:05 PM

We have had requests for a FLOW CHART that would help one navagate thru the between death and burial procedures. Does anyone know of such a thing for Florida? Does one exist that might be modified for Florida?
The Funeral Consumers Alliance web page would be an excelent place for said flow chart.

john wilkerson
glendale memorial nature preserve
LisaCarlson
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2003 10:10:18 PM

John,

To some extent, each situation will be a little different. Was death in a hospital, nursing home, at home, or while traveling? Was it an expected death or not? What is the weather? If very hot, does the home (if it''s a home death) have air conditioning or might one need dry ice while paperwork is being done? My book has state-by-state chapters that will guide you through the paperwork required, but it''s the practical, little things that sometimes create the most hurdles/tasks.

Lisa
Jacque
#3 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2003 7:31:28 PM

How about the law in Idaho?
LisaCarlson
#4 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2003 2:15:56 PM

Jacque,

The law in Idaho permits families to care for their own dead. You''ll need a death certificate first. Home burial is permissible in rural areas. For more specific and practical information, go the library and get my book, "Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love." There''s an Idaho chapter as well as general information.

Lisa
ninak
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2003 6:39:06 PM

Do you know where I might find info on Missouri''s death/burial laws? Thank you! Nina
LisaCarlson
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2003 5:25:17 PM

Nina,

It is legal for families to care for their own dead in MO. Get my book from the library. There''s an entire chapter for each state that tells what permits are required and where and when to file them, plus a chapter on practical information.

Lisa
skruzich
#7 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2003 4:21:35 PM

I was wondering if the state of Georgia allows burials on your own land? And is there anything to protect the burial site?

Steve
Frankie
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 02, 2003 5:39:35 AM

Do you know where I could find the laws
for NY on death and burial?

Frankie
andydufresne
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2004 7:01:49 AM

Did I miss something or did these folks offer help and then when it was asked for they didn''t reply?
skruzich
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2004 4:34:42 PM

Yep you are right andy. They haven''t been on in a long time. I did however find out that you cannot bury someone on private land anymore in the state of georgia. you have to be done in a approved cemetary, and by a approved funeral home.
andydufresne
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2004 5:27:08 PM

HERE once you have them cremated there is very little regulation as to what happens to the ashes. Some parks prohibit the scattering of ashes but HEY if I happen to accidently tip over the box somewhere...whadya gonna do?
SCOTTY01
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2004 2:50:31 AM

does anyone know if you can bury your loved ones on private property in tennessee.and a way to protect it?
SCOTTY01
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2004 2:51:51 AM

i think if you own your own land nd you have put your blood sweat and tears in a place you call home. you should be able to be buried there.
Coqui
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2004 10:06:24 PM

Ms. Lisa Carlson: I read your book about two years ago and found nothing on the USA territory of Puerto Rico. I called the office in charge here "Registro Demografico" and they say all burials must go through a funeral home, but seemed startled with my question. I have never heard of a green burial here. Do you have any info on PR? Thanks. Mrs. Nati Rivera
crownlady
#15 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2004 7:16:20 PM

Hello Lisa how nice of you to do this work. I have a question from Indiana. My friends are in their late 80''s. The husband has lived on the land all his life it belonged to his father and grandfather. At one time he was the town iceman and delivered to Al Capone when he used to visit this lakeside community. But thats lots of other stories.
My question is this. His property has recently been zoned business. He has about 20 - 25 acres some with property and businesses and some that is mowed. A large plot of his land is wooded and sits behind his home. Is there anyway he can set aside a small family plot of land for he and his family to be buried there?
Thank you for your answer.

ajortolani
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2004 5:52:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by crownlady

Hello Lisa how nice of you to do this work.

Well I guess it would be nice, if she did it!!
crownlady
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2004 2:37:10 AM

Aj you just tickle my funny bone every single day. Your quick wit and your thoroughness. I did not notice that this post is from April. She is probably long gone. Doesn''t even know we are still here and waiting and waiting and waiting. lol The old folks will just have to get trotted off to the cemetery in another town. Oh well.

mckenzy_girl
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2005 5:28:33 PM

Why does Mother Earth News even have this forum
If no one even answers the questions that people have?
What a waste of space!
C''mon MEN... maybe it''s time for a change??!!
Colbabee
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:46:03 AM

Help please! I am trying to find where there are "Green/woodland cemeteries" in or near Illinois. I know they have them in CA, SC, and England. I would not want to burden my family with taking my body to another state. Thank you
Karin Rada
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:16:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LisaCarlson

If you have questions about what''s legal in the way of funeral or cemetery options in your state, don''t hesitate to post your query.

Lisa Carlson
Funeral Consumers Alliance