Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Tired of the Rat race Options
mikeg
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 03, 2003 9:16:31 PM

Try www.eaglestar.net/ this will get you started. I found my place in the news paper, you might try a drive or some people recommend a vacation in an area you are intrested in. Spend some time in the area and talk to some local folks and get the lowdown on a particular area. The best person to hook up with is a rural mail carrier they drive the roads and know all the places that are for sale.
StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2003 1:54:16 AM

Congrats on giving up the cable...I''ve been without for ten years now.

TV is a very, very powerful mind-control tool.

IMHO, it keeps a lot of people broke...sittin'' with their brain occupied by crap (as you so accurately called it) when they should be working (or at least looking for other ways to make money).
skruzich
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2003 2:55:21 AM

I did without for a couple years only using the rabbit ears but when my son was supposed to go to iraq, i got the satellite back so that i could keep up with what was happening.
Now all i watch is my science fiction shows on the scifi channel. The rest of the 50 channels can all go as far as i am concerned. Not interested in anything else. May be fox news or the Communist News Network, Anyway, can''t get out of it for another 6 months as i am locked into a year contract.
I am guessing that when the tv goe out i won''t be buying another one any time soon. My wife is the one who can''t live without tv. If the satellite goes out due to excessive cloud cover, she sounds like she is dying if she can''t watch these mindnumbing stupid sitcoms that they put on the tube.
oh well to each his own. I would rather be out in my shop anyway.
andydufresne
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2003 4:20:20 AM

skruzich:

Took the ex wife on vacation to Lake Ft Smith State Park.

We rented a cabin. Made of wood and stone. We got there and she noticed there was not TV or Radio. She asked what we''d do for entertainment. I smiled a crooked smile. She smiled back. Was not a problem.

The day we left, got into the car turned on the radio and heard the following on the hourly newscast: O J SIMPSON attended the funeral of his ex-wife Nicole Brown today. L A Police continue to say he is not a supect in her death.

TOO BAD I couldn''t have stayed at the cabin for the entire time of the trial.
FilthyK
#5 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2003 9:01:45 PM

Cheers! I am a bit tired of being a "slave to the grind" myself. I''ve been looking into alternative building, alternative energy, composting and finding good land in the last month. One great resource I''ve found in looking into places to live is the EPA website and the Environmental Scorecard website.

Imagine finding the most beautiful bit of land you can imagine for a good price, buying it, and finding out it''s 200 yards from a Superfund cleanup site!

Oh, I am new to this board, so HELLO! everyone... [:)]
Corgitails
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 12:24:46 AM

FK: OOoh, thanks! That''s something I hadn''t thought of- adding to my list now. I''m in sort of the same situation. I moved from city apartment to country (rented) house (well, old fallendown trailer with an addition)with a yard for a garden. I didn''t get my garden put in this spring so I''m spending this year building the soil and might get a crop next year. I''m hoping to move someplace in south-central US- probably MS or AK...
BisbeeBob
#7 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 6:43:16 PM

Hi, I''m new to the forum, and like lots of you I''m sick of the rat race as well. We live right now in Bisbee AZ in Cochise county, and came here because of lack of building codes here (am also interested in straw bale / earth ships, etc.) We are finding the extreme dryness here, combined with the altitude is hard on us physically (dry skin, nosebleeds, etc.) Also Bisbee is an old mining area, and it doesn''t seem to healthy living here by the open pit and all the tailings. We are also researching the northern Arkansas/southern Missouri area, and judging from the forum here, there are some like-minded folks out there doing the same. Thanks for all the good input
FilthyK
#8 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 7:12:11 PM

Hi Bob,

Don''t know how you can handle AZ, bub, cuz I lived in Phoenix for about 4 weeks before I decided it was the earth equivalent to living on the surface of the friggin'' moon! [:D]

Anyway, I am starting to dig this site, http://www.bestplaces.net/html/citycompare.asp, as well. I was just checking Branson, Missouri against one of the other "top ten spots for me" from findyourspot.com, Corvallis, Oregon. Look up the "health" section and take particular notice of the air and water quality ratings in the town of Branson... [8D]

BisbeeBob
#9 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 8:02:41 PM

Hi FK,
Thanks for the comeback. I know what you''re sayin about Phoenix. Bisbee is better, as it is about a mile high (20 degrees cooler, trees, etc.) But I just don''t think I''m suited to the desert, high or low. I also did the findyourspot.com website and it came up with lots of places in Arkansas. I didn''t know about the bestplaces site and will check it out. Thanks for that. Don''t know if you found the air and water quality of Branson to be good or bad, but I will be curious to check into it. Thanks again.
andydufresne
#10 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 8:21:27 PM

I did that too. With the exception of 4 locations all of them were either in my state or one of TWO surrounding states. MOST of the places were within a few hours drive of where I am RIGHT NOW. You may be saying to yourself that Ole Andy picks well. But not. I was born in this state. I DID live elsewhere for a few years and made the decision to come back. And I picked the land I am on now. Lots of information on that site.

IF you too get a lot of Arkansas hits then one of the reasons may be the low property tax, availability of wooded areas nearby and lots of lakes.

wgreenleaf
#11 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 8:21:27 PM

I am in Maryland, just above Baltimore. I have cancelled the cable because it is all crap on TV. I don't begin to know where to look for some land. I have been studying Earthships, Earth sheltered and Underground homes.

Where in the world can I find land off the grid that isn't hundreds of miles away. Something in Upper Maryland or Lower PA?

Help