Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

will this cheap windmill work? Options
PDQ
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 12:34:22 PM

I don''t know if it would work but I have thought about it myself...
I think one might still have to make the "blades" longer.. in order to move the extra drag of the generator. Also,in order to get the additional wind needed one might have to increase the height. The higher ya go the more wind. This would require welding on extentions at the base of the wind mill? also, safety would be a consideration. Ya dont want someone bumping their head into a low spinning wind turbine.

pate20135
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 12:41:16 PM

Look in the link below, there are quite a few articles in the old TMENs, the most popular being the ''blue max''. I might even have a dupe of the issue. (I think I do, not unable to check right now). Never seen an ''ornamental'' one done, doubt they would be sturdy enough. But I have seen an ornamental made into a ''mole thumper'', to keep moles away. And I have seen one made into a pump for a very shallow well, for irrigation purposes.

I do wish the management would archive. We had a very nice discussion on this subject, once.

Take care,

Pate

StreetLegal
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 5:51:07 AM

The ornamental mills I''ve looked at have a very small, cheap ball-bearings. There is no way that that bearing would stand the load of an alternator or even the belt tension. Beefing it up would be a challenge.

It''s a good idea though, `cause those things really get-to crankin''!
DanR
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 2:34:05 PM

My research has shown that what street says is accurate. Also, remember that the wind speed goes up the higher up you go. maybe this could be the answer to what Steve put on another line, a rooftop energy source. But it would mean upgrading some parts.
skruzich
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 3:49:09 PM

Guys isn''t that going far enough to justify a wind blade? You know those two blade systems that run in 1/2 mph winds
stee
hunter63
#6 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 4:05:46 AM

Pate has the right idea, the"Red Baron" was in issue 92, page 96,and the"Blue Max" in issue 93, page 86. The "Red Baron" has complete plans. Try looking in http://www.findarticles.com/ Mother Earth News
Take a lot of Hp to turn an alternator.
skruzich
#7 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 4:41:29 AM

You know, with the right gears you could spin that alternator enough to produce a decent current. Only problem is most alternators today are not very good. You would need a old style (pre 1980) 100 amp alternator to do the job. The new ones are not designed to produce a constant current. They will burn out very quickly. You must have a battery bank to use it though otherwise the voltage regulator will burn out fast.
But if you were to figure out what rpm you would need on the alternator, then gear it so that it would spin a minimum rpm at a certain wind speed it would work.
steve
mikeg
#8 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 5:02:39 PM

You may try one of those hard drive motors from a big computer system.
jazzybass
#9 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 11:06:27 PM

Actually guys I''ve been researching this very thing and if you build the right mount for the alternator to cradle into a dual directional bearing guy wire your set up with a 15 foot tower and use a very specific alternator built for a tractor trailer which throws out 140 amps they cost about a $155.00 + core charge... Go to a small trucking out fit in your area and they will probably have some bad ones laying around that they might just give you this is your core charge I presently have 12 of these alternators in my garage and this is what I want to hook up as a back up to a small hydro system... good luck!!!
skruzich
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 12:35:11 AM

Jazzybass, you can also get a generator, AC actually, from northern tools and hook it up to a wind tower. You can buy it separately from the motor. Or you can even buy a motor to hook up. Alot of different ways to do it i guess. The problem with using the alternators are you will either have to buy all DC appliances, or build a inverter to convert the dc to ac.
Steve
jazzybass
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 6:30:04 PM

Steve give up the addy for northern tools I don''t have that one and I am still in search of so to speak. The system that I''m looking to hook up will be hopfully located on south rim of the grand canyon.
skruzich
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 7:23:56 PM

Jazzy, dang your in a perfect area for solar. heres the addy
http://www.northerntools.com/
jazzybass
#13 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2003 3:45:01 AM

Thanks steve went and this looks t=great for what I''m looking to do...Rusty!!!
StreetLegal
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2003 4:35:04 AM

Here is another website that offers gen-heads. These are chinese made and look to me to be very well-built and "serviceable", not throw-away crap. You''ll have to beef-up your tower though, these babies are made of cast-iron.

http://www.utterpower.com
jazzybass
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2003 5:11:56 PM

thanks streetlegal that site looks to be a better deal than any I''ve seen yet and I like the idea that I can rebuild od repair it myself...rusty
weeknee
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2003 5:11:56 PM

Ok,so im sitting around thinking.You know those decoration windmills that folks have in thier yards to feel all country and stuff? Well,i was wonderin,those things turn like the devil in a decent wind.Would it work if ya took a chevy alternater and used the windmill to turn it,thus charging a battery to run a few lights off of???Just an idea.
mnm5683
#17 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2006 5:02:08 PM

Is that not about the same as using an air x such as this one [url]http://www.diysolarstore.com/page/airxwindland[/url]?
mnm5683
#18 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2006 5:03:05 PM

Is that not about the same as using an air x such as this one [url]http://www.diysolarstore.com/page/airxwindland[/url]?