Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

water conservation Options
mikeg
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2004 4:54:55 AM

I would not think that water would be in short supply in Alaska what is the situation no well or lake or is every thing frozen.
mikeg
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2004 4:59:33 AM

Welcome to the forum there are a few more Alaskans around here some place, that may be in the same fix as you and will appreciate the information about the washer arrangement you have. Good to have you.
cheri
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2004 4:32:02 PM

It costs roughly $10K here for a well. $5K for the well itself and $5K to put in the freeway that the driller''s want to come in and set up. An RV pump and 30 gallon garbage containers are much cheaper. We use a 5 gallon hot water heater, pump all the water to the second story water room and gravity feed from there. I figured it out one time and I have been without running water for most of my adult life and I just turned 60. I have the washer in the water room and a dryer downstairs in the living room area. Works fine for me. Cheri
DanR
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2004 6:35:40 PM

Hi cheri, welcome to the forums. Seems your ideas work for you. Your RV pump, do you run it off a battery or household current?
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2004 6:38:51 PM

cheri
$5k for a well (I assume complete with pump) doesn''t seem like a lot of money...how deep do you have to dig to get water?

BTW...welcome to the forum.
skruzich
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2004 11:06:05 PM

wow, 5k is cheap for a well.
mikeg
#7 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 5:03:31 AM

But if they ar happy that''s 5K they can use for something else.
cheri
#8 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 4:52:42 PM

$5K is a lot of money when you have to come up with it in one lump sum. I have enough trouble keeping the taxes paid. On the RV pump we use a 12volt one that way no body dies if something happens. The pump is hooked up to a battery which is hooked to a trickle charge on top of the hot water heater. We have a septic system because a friend had a digging machine and we were able to borrow it to dig it all out. We have thought about purchasing one of the hand drilling machines but the well would have to be at the bottom of the acre and that means pumping water up, if it can be found, a 45degree hillside to the house. To do it ourselves the best method would be to put the line in an insulated box. A lot of work for an old lady and a disabled man. We only have to haul a large water load every two weeks and it costs $.25 per 30 gal. when the water line at the gas station isn''t frozen. We will just keep hauling. And mdg is right about using the $ for other things. I have a killer computer at home that Loving Husband built me. We also have a small sail boat waiting for breakup. Old folks have to have some treats.
cheri
#9 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2004 4:52:42 PM

We eek out every drop of water possible and use each to its fullest including multiple uses. I had been going out to a laundromat as I just had no other way of doing the laundry. Hauling water in Alaska can be a pain. I found the Danby washer and am so pleased with it I wanted to let everyone know about it. I use it like an old wringer washer starting with white clothing and going on to the darker and dirtier things using the same wash water. The rinsing takes place in a 15 gallon garbage pail using a new toilet plunger to agitate. The washer can also be used as a regular washer. It has a spin extractor which takes out almost all water. We eventually pump out the wash water into a holding tank and use it to flush the toilet. We do us a biodegradable soap with no other chemicals added. We are not having to haul more water than ususal to get along and it is so nice to not have to go out in the cold to a laundry. It is a great product.