Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

that old windmill... Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 7:42:14 AM

Depends on the generator, your usage, and your battery backup. Revolutions don''t matter as gearing handles that problem.
dropkick
#2 Posted : Monday, December 15, 2003 7:51:58 AM

Some links that might help:
www.awea.org/default.htm
www.nationalwind.org/pubs/default.htm
www.homepower.com/
DanR
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2003 1:01:14 AM

Unkle John:

Are you talking about the multi-bladed water pumping wind mill? If so, it will not be powerful enough to generate electricity. They are good at pumping water and with a tank above where you need the water, that will solve that problem.
flaswampratt
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:39:27 AM

By design, a water pumping mill will not generate enough RPM''s to generate electricity. The many sails(blades) actually self regulate the speed of the wheel to prevent it from tearing itself apart in high winds. The mills of old generally were bearingless machines, hence the low requirment for RPM''s.

A wind turbine on the other hand, is designed for what you have in mind.

Check out this link for more info on Wind Mills:

http://www.vintagewindmills.com

If any of you folks know where I might be able to find an old mill for a song and dance, I''d appreciate the info!

Best Regards.......................

rowdy
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 12:12:53 PM

dan r is right they are great for pumping water but since water pumps and refrigerators are two of the most hungry energy machines of the farm it is certainly worth using for that purpose, being from texas my self i know cooling is a huge problem if you want to be off the grid. do you have a plan for that? if so please share it with us.

good luk
tex
ajortolani
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2004 3:12:50 PM

I saw one at Ebay yesterday & see them in local "for sales" papers such as Paper Shop. Also, isn''t noise a huge problem with the older windmills?
flaswampratt
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 2:35:01 AM

Thanks ajortolani. I took a look at it, it was only the wheel.I''ll be requiring a gear box to restore also.

Mills that are loud or squeeling are either out of oil/grease or the babbit(bearing material) is most probably worn out, also a cause of loss of lubricating oil.
Unkle John
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2004 2:35:01 AM

My wife and I are in the process of buying land from her family out in west texas. The land is about 6 acres on a beautiful ridge, and ther is reminets of an old mobile home that used to sit there. In the next 6-10 years we plan on either building or moving a modular home to it's location. We are also going to retro fit either home for solar and wind power. My question is this: is it possible to use an old windmill to generate enough power to use on a (roughly) 1200 sqft. home? I was thinking it might be to heavy to turn enough revolutions than a newer windmill that I can get at a wind/solar store.

Is there any awnser to my question out in the net or here in the forum?