Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

moles Options
Tenngarden
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 4:47:38 AM

The moles are making their tunnels to eat earthworms and grubs. Kill the worms, they will leave. And then you will have a pretty sterile yard, so it all depends on what you want......
Homesteading101
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 4:48:08 AM

Lots of cats! I have about 8 cats running around outside, and thank god they are good hunters. They have been killing the heck out of moles this year.
johnhagen
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 11:32:31 AM

Tenngarden is right,but dont kill ll the worms .Instead place a moth ball in all there runs and down there hole in a week they will move to your niegbors house.Then just roll your yard and at the first sign of problem do this right away after a few times they will not come back
JSmit369
#4 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2003 11:35:27 AM

I''ve had moles in my yard also. I purchaced a spring trap for moles it did the trick. I''ve also heard of placing human hair into the tunnels to drive them away. But I have never tried it. Good luck.
mikeg
#5 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2003 4:43:15 PM

I have used several things, including wherly gig those things that have propellers on them. The vibration drives them off or into another part of the yard. The best thing that I have found and it works every time is a 22 rifle. You roll the ground or walk them down so you can see them working, walk out at mid day when they are feeding realsoft and quiet so they do not feel the vibration and look for ground movement at the end of a run. place the end of the rifle barrel just behind the movement and pull the trigger. Go drink a glass of tea and set out for another one, you don''t have to worry about the noise it sounds like a cap gun going off. You can do the same thing with a spade thrust in to the mole but it''s not near as much fun.
weeknee
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2003 4:44:00 PM

Ok, so heres my trick.It would be so much the better to go about this MIKEG''s way but johnny law doesnt see it that way(long story).I go out in the mourning and step down on all the runs.About mid day,or whenever i think about it,i go back out with a spade and an axe.When i see the little sucker digging i cut off his escape with the spade.Then i systematicly whack the ground till i see a little blood.The little bugger is already buried and i go about mu business.Works every time.For those animal rights folks...save yer breath,people are much worse to each other.
bushwack
#7 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 6:19:23 AM

Thanks for the smile.
!!NO THANKS FOR THE LAUGH !!
I not only enjoyed your "closing Line", but the image of a grown man whacking the ground with an axe. Muttering or Chuckling Gleefully I would guess. You made me laugh aloud sitting here by myself. [:D]

Have you ever tried it using a second spade ? Would save time grinding your axe {so to speak} And maybe save a toe or two or three............

quote:
For those animal rights folks...save yer breath,people are much worse to each other.

lowell
#8 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 6:19:23 AM

my yard is overrunwih moles. overthe counter products have not worked will tilling the yard up and reseeding or rolling a couple of times a week get rid of them