Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Fruit flies and Ants Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2005 7:32:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by portraitz

I have never had either in my house. Well, this year they are my new best friends. I bring in tomatoes to ripen and they are swarming all over! And ants! I swear I wipe the county 100 times and still they find the teeeeeniest little crumb and go get all their buddies.

I don''t want to spray in the kitchen. I now put the maters right in the fridge. But still I have these disgusting little creatures hangng around waiting for a little morsel. It is driving me crazy. I don''t mind bugs but not in my kitchen.

Any ideas, specifically ones that don''t include spraying with a toxic bug spray?

uhmmm .357???
crownlady
#2 Posted : Monday, September 19, 2005 10:49:46 PM

I used to have good luck with those little ant buttons. YOu have to be careful with pets and children. I would hide them behind the refrigerator or someplace they couldnt'' be seen.

I had a professional come out and spray and so far so good.

I also have those plug in things all over the house. One in every room and then two big ones that work through the electric lines. I have not had a spider in two years.

So I don''t know exactly what is doing it.

I have had a few of those darn earwigs. I hate those nasty things. I am getting ready for the Asian lady bugs. I am sure they are packing their bags for their vacation at my house.

portraitz
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:36:25 AM

Well, I got a fly strip...the old fashioned kind, and "baited" it with a teeny piece of over ripe red pepper, and caught a bunch of them so far. But who knows if I''m bringing in mre than I''m catching, they are so small they can fit through the screen!
ajortolani
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:30:01 AM

Do you have screens? If so, make sure they are all closed/no holes etc., if all is good in that area, then I suggest packing all good fruits into the fridge, ditch any that even hint at not being ''perfect''. Then you must spray. disinfect all counters, wash all the ''cr*p'' sitting on the counter & especially any cr*p on the window ledge!!!! Same with the table & chairs. Lysol the floor. Spray again & don''t open any windows for awhile...say like 2-4hours.
If you find a bug the next day, take Steve''s advice.
ajortolani
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:32:06 AM

Btw, don''t feel bad, those little buggers come in whenever you open the door, carried in with groceries, particularly if you buy at a farmstand. When you''re done gardening, in they come...they''re exhausted, too, you know!!! LOL
skruzich
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:15:02 AM

Portriatz, we call em pisants down here. They get in no matter what you do. You can''t keep em out. I have seen them get into sealed container boxes before. They find a pinhole and go right through.
I had a jar of honey last year, these suckers got into te honey with the lid closed. They went around the threads on the jar til they got to the lid and chewed right through the seal.
srj
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:15:39 AM

portraitz the bait dome''s (raid) work well for ant''s , if you can find where they are coming in apply some boric acid (drug store)will also kill the nest
for the fly''s if they are lil brown sucker''s about the size of a gnat a light trap works well , a vacume cleaner come''s in handy too .check the tater bin often a breeding ground & potted house plant''s
wannabe
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:45:41 PM

For the fruit flies: set out a dish filled with a mixture of scented dish soap and vinegar. They''re attracted to the smell, get stuck in the soap, and drown.

quote:
Originally posted by skuzich
uhmmm .357???

I hear that works pretty good on snakes in the kitchen.
portraitz
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:17:06 PM

Oh, I''ll try that. I just really hate to spray.

I''ve been Mrs. Clean around here, and the potatoes are in the basement. Actually, I think my flystrip is working, it''s disgusting looking but there are a ton on it.
wannabe
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:54:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by portraitz

Oh, I''ll try that. I just really hate to spray.

The detergent & vinegar, or the 357? [:D]
portraitz
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:54:00 PM

I have never had either in my house. Well, this year they are my new best friends. I bring in tomatoes to ripen and they are swarming all over! And ants! I swear I wipe the county 100 times and still they find the teeeeeniest little crumb and go get all their buddies.

I don't want to spray in the kitchen. I now put the maters right in the fridge. But still I have these disgusting little creatures hangng around waiting for a little morsel. It is driving me crazy. I don't mind bugs but not in my kitchen.

Any ideas, specifically ones that don't include spraying with a toxic bug spray?
TechMojo
#12 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2013 1:40:36 AM

I tried a lot of different 'traps' and this one was by far and wide the best.

Quick DIY that works everytime. The Plum wine must be a fruit fly aphrodesiac (sic).  Here's a 2 minute video on how to make the trap: http://youtu.be/N5ZFV-nGnEs

Let me know if this worked for you!

radicalmama
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:34:41 AM

Fruit flies lay thier eggs in your sink drains. Pour boiling water down the drain a few times- before bed & then when you get up & maybe before bed again & that should get rid of them. I make it a habit of pouring boiling water down the drain often (in the bathrooms, too!), which just keeps them away. I haven't had a problem with fruit flies since.