Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Slugs killed my marigolds! Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 11:44:17 PM

I would say use salt around them but the salt would poison the ground.
steve
bushwack
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 4:31:24 AM

I remember reading Scatter wood ash in and surrounding the area. I may have read it in a post here some place. I''ll have to look back and get back
bushwack
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 4:53:47 AM

It wasn''t here I read wood ash but I did find these::::::
quote:
Originally posted by dancinbake

I know diatamaceous earth works well for slugs does it work for larger critters like snakes too per chance??

quote:
Originally posted by aris

Diatomacious Earth (A.K.A -- D.E.) is a powder made from dead diatoms -- single-celled animals from the ocean. The diatoms leave behind an exoskeleton of mostly silica and chitin. This material will cut up the skin of most soft bodied insects, gets into the joints of segmented insects, and seems to repel slugs. It will not harm earthworms according to several published studies. It is not harmful to birds or mammals and is often added to chicken feed.

There are 2 types of D.E. For gardening you want food grade. Avoid swimming pool D.E. as it has additives that you do not want in your soil. Food grade is pure D.E. -- and you don''t need anything else for bug repelling, really!

D.E. is a fine powder, and it will get into your lungs, so always cover your mouth and nose when using it.

Large & small amounts:

www.Fertrell.com
www.GardensAlive.com
www.johnnysseeds.com
www.groworganic.com

mikeg
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 5:22:41 PM

Try placing a plastic lid from a coffee can in the garden on the ground and pour some beer in it.
aris
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 5:53:26 PM

There are a couple of different kinds of marigolds, all of them good for preventing infections, and each different plant does different things to different bugs like helping to get rid of nematodes...but all of them seem to attract slugs&snails. *sigh*.

What kinds of bugs didja have trouble with? I''m sure we could find controls for them now that your poor bedraggled marigolds are showing...ah...wear and tear.

Fortunately, there are a couple of easy way to control slugs and snails, some easier, some more effective, and some delightfully disgusting!

Snails love the smell of yeasty things. I like to use beer traps -- a glass jar turned on its side and sunk until its lip is even with the soil, then some incredibly cheap beer poured in, attracts slugs like mad. They crawl in, absorb beer through their skins, and drown. The beer traps will keep rain/watering from diluting the beer and there are lots of inventive ways of disposing of boozing slugs, especially if you have poultry.

There''s a couple products out there -- my favorite is escar-GO from www.gardensalive.com -- that kill slugs when eaten. Simple!

If you garden in planters, copper is perfect. When crossing copper, the slug or snail antannae get ''shocked'' by their own body current, kind of like licking a 9-volt battery. So a strip of expensive copper from your local nursery -- or affixing pennies -- to the edge of your planters will keep ''em out.

Then there''s the trap method. Slugs live in the soil, coming out at night to feed. But it''s apprently easier to crawl under things, so if you put things on the soil near your plants, you can turn them over and find the buggers. Planks of wood, flowerpots, grapefruit halves, all work.

Here''s the disgusting part. If you use flowerpots, I have heard that turning them over in the mornings, then crushing the slugs underneath and leaving the bodies there will attract even more slugs/snails next night. Isn''t that hideous? Eeeww! [xx(][:p] Eeeeewwwwww! [;)]

Okay, I''m going to think about the bottles turned on their side now. Mmmmmbeermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Paul™
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2003 5:53:26 PM

I thought marigolds, being poisonous to critters and all, would be impervious to slugs. Now all my flowers are dead and so are the slugs...stupid slimy things don't they know what NOT to eat? [:(!]