Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

chimney/flue liner Options
michaels
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 09, 2003 4:18:14 AM

Yes. I do not know the firm name, but they resell via JC Whitney. The flexible stainless steel exhaust pipe. It is made up to one foot diameter. Majere ordered quite a bit of that stuff in various sizes to reline/reflue some of the older chimneys here when the enclave was forming. And he overordered. But it has been very usefull in other projects. Another benefit was that we often put zinc foil on fire to combat the creosote problem, and the zinc really cleans out this stuff, but zinc burning will very quickly burn out a standard pipe.

Michael.

Woodburner
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 09, 2003 2:37:25 PM

Michael, thanks for your reply. I checked the JC Whitney web-site and called. They stated they did not have stainless steel flex pipe over 3" in diameter.

Out of curiousity, I am new to this bulletin board and am unaware of the enclave you mentioned. Would you describe its purpose to me or send me to the appropriate web-site? Thanks.

Phil
michaels
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 09, 2003 7:09:34 PM

Woodburner,

Whitney would not. A six inch exhaust? (laughing). Wait, on second thought, some of the touristas would think that would be ''cool''. But did you get the manufacturer contact from them?

Old Order Mennonite enclave. Come over into the Ordnung thread in Reader to Reader. And website is below.

Michael.
Woodburner
#4 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2003 5:03:27 PM

FYI After rather lengthy research and discussions with a chimney sweep I have decided to have a 8" flexible stainless steel liner installed by a professional. It is quite expensive, at least in my view, but with the apparent dangers of an active fireplace in my 1896 house of "kindling" it seems prudent. It will be UL rated. Overall cost for the flue liner and stove installation (not cost of stove itself) will be $1600 for 30 feet of liner, chimney cap, flue cap, spark arrestor, couplers to the stove and fire brick. Phil
hunter63
#5 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2003 1:41:57 AM

This doesn''t seem too high,you get what you pay for, and will get it done right. Will keep your house from burning down, Wise choice.
Woodburner
#6 Posted : Monday, December 01, 2003 1:41:57 AM

I am needing to line my chimney with 8" pipe for my wood burning stove. After some research, stainless steel flexible flue pipe seems to be the best available product but is prohibitively expensive at approx. $30/foot. An alternative is rigid black stove pipe at about $2.50/foot but corrodes in 2-5 years and needs replacing. Does anyone have a source of less expensive stainless steel flexible flue pipe or have alternative ideas about lining my circa 1896 brick and mortar chimney? Thanks.