Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Spiders Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:07:29 PM

Not sure what will keep the spiders out, And tell your friend that the chemicals won''t kill them or stop them. They just walk right over anything you put down for them.
I just squish em as i find them. caulk around all the windows and doors. I won''t allow chemicals in my house either, as they are quite toxic. Think about it, its toxic enough to kill a resiliant bug like a roach, when nothing else can, what will it do to you over time. The roach has a better chance at survival. I also won''t use pesticides in my home as i have a small pet that has lymphoma cancer and the pesticides would accelerate his condition.
What your friend needs to do is find something that is a natural enemy of the spider but won''t become a problem for her, OR, Create a place where the spiders would rather be at to get their bugs. They only come inside for a dry space, and source of food. Try making a box away from your house with a light in it to draw the bugs to it and they should build their nest in there.
steve
aris
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:11:59 PM

Spides have predators; attract the predators and they will keep the spider population down.

Spiders eat food; lower the food supply and the spider population will decrease.

I have no idea what spiders eat in your area, or what eats wolf spiders (besides cats maybe?). Some research on your part will get you that information.

A great vacuum would help get rid of current infestations. Please see http://forums.rodale.com....jsp?forum=1&thread=2477
skruzich
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 8:16:43 PM

hehe, love it aris, wolf spiders eating cats hehe
mikeg
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 8:30:49 PM

You might try sticky strips like they use for mice.
Piscesnaturally
#5 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 10:30:05 PM

There is also an electric device that plugs into your outlets. It sends pulses of electricity through the house. My mother has one, and she never has any problems with bugs or with spiders. I dont know how "green" this approach maybe considered, but it helped with her problem. Hope this helps.
skruzich
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 12:53:31 AM

Hmmm i think i will pass on the electro magnetic pulses ;) i get enough of those with my tv and computer hehe. It messes with your bodies electrial impulses. throws them slightly off kilter.

steve
Piscesnaturally
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:38:43 AM

I agree Steve...But I wasnt sure to what extent this individual was willing to try to get remove the visitors! ;)
weeknee
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:49:29 AM

Hedge apples will drive out spiders. Throw a few in your crawl space or in the closets.
Christine Dobyns
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:49:29 AM

My best friend HATES spiders. They are invading her house, but her husband refuses to use any chemicals in or around their house. Can someone give me some advise to pass on to her to help. We live in Southern Indiana and the Wolf Spiders can get quite large.