Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

frogs and toads Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 3:31:49 AM

Have you ever heard of Frog Legs! ;)

Uhmmm thats about the only way you will get rid of them unless you remove your pond, or you could get some snakes.
steve
Wolfie
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 3:39:46 AM

Steve - appreciate your response so fast, but I''m not into either French food or snakes... I actually had a water snake take up residence (my pond is 2 years old) but I was able to get rid of it. The snake was present for several months, I''m not sure if it was poisonous - I am from the NW coast where we do not have dangerous snakes, so am new to the venomous types here in the Carolinas. It looked like a water mocassin in coloration, with a white belly. I had so many different things told me about it that I am still confused as to what it really was. But meanwhile, the snake, though a loner, seemed to have little effect on the frogs... in fact, I saw frogs and my fish swim right with the snake fearlessly. I have been advised to get a couple king or black snakes but how would I keep them around the pond? Seems a poor tradeoff at the moment, but I might resort to it... I am still hoping there is some natural, organic deterrent to the amphibians. Thanks for writing.
skruzich
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2003 4:11:11 AM

If you get a black snake or king snake they will kill off the frogs within reason, and the posionous snakes. All you really need for those snakes, are rocks around the pond in a pile for them to go into. Thats about as organic as you can get. I don''t know of any other way to remove frogs ;) When did the french lay claim to frog legs. Thats a country meal around here in the south ;) hehe, I am a neighbor, i live in North GA near NC border
steve
bushwack
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 6:56:17 AM

In new England the Herons dine on frogs, snakes and such. What kind of wading birds live in the Carolinas ?

I’m with Steve. Dredge the legs in Season flour then saute in Butter, Garlic & a splash of White Wine. California or New York wine. Who needs the French. Then bury the rest in your Vegetable, Flower & Herb beds.

An after thought..... What size is the Pond ? Big enough to stock some Bass or Other hungry fish? Not a bad trade off there. You will eat a few fish wont you?
Wolfie
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2003 6:56:17 AM

I have installed a pond near the front of my house which we love, but the frogs and toads at night are deafening. I have asked many sources for suggestions or help but have received very few responses -I've tried moth balls and recently I sprnkled cayenne pepper around the pond thinking it might discourage their presence - I have thought of trying garlic also but we use it in the garden and it also has a lot of frogs who don't seem to mind the garlic. We live close to a natural water source - I don't mind a few frogs but this is a plague! I try to keep the pond clean of eggs and tadpoles, but the adults are the continuing problem. Anyone ever dealt with something like this before, or does anyone have any suggestions? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.