Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Small fry gardening Options
andydufresne
#1 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 6:24:18 AM

If indeed all that stuff is being sprayed then you are likely breathing it and drinking it so I think, AND I STAND TO BE CORRECTED, that if you do your best to be organic it can''t be all that harmful.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2003 6:34:52 AM

You won''t be able to eliminate the pesticides. your ground is saturated with it so you will be getting it in your food source. If anyone around you sprays it basically defeats your attempts at organic. It is probably better produce than what you could get in the stores though!
aris
#3 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 7:44:56 PM

A good way to break down pesticides, herbicides, and the like, is to cook em out.

Start a hot compost pile -- 2-30 times more browns than greens -- and internal temperatures can get up to 140 degrees. The heat and the bacterial/fungal/bug activity that creates this heat (we call it the ''microherd'') will at least help get rid of some of the chems.

The resulting compost will be great additions to your plants'' soil, not only because of the lessened chem amounts, but also because the stuff in the compost will continue to buffer your soil and plants, and compost is the absolute best soil amendment out there period.

And don''t forget earthworms! They''ll eat up all the chems -- some estimate that earthworm populations remove up to 90% of contaminants. You may have some trouble establishing them in poisoned soil -- good luck.

If you''d like to talk to people who are experiencing some of the same problems and are looking to garden organically, may I suggest www.organicgardening.com ''s ''gardener to gardener'' forums? That''s where I post most of my soapbox ravings and get most of my information.
Piscesnaturally
#4 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 7:44:56 PM

HELP!! I would truly like to have a garden, the problem? I live surrounded by grapevinyards, and the farmers LOVE their pesticide sprays....Any ideas on how to grow an organic garden in this living environment? Or a healthier garden then just letting my plants get the heck prayed outta them? Thanks for any ideas! Oh yeah, I live in the central valley of CA, so I thought of containers with coverings, but the 105+ heat here would more than likely kill off my plants I am afraid....