Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

5 Pages «<345
Deer season coming-up...that reminds me Options
johnhagen
#81 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2003 8:40:59 AM

Steve did you ever get a deer or did you not see any.
skruzich
#82 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2003 3:13:29 PM

The only deer i have seen this year has been at night while driving. They are smart critters. I have gone out and done some hunting but not a thing. I am running into problems with places to hunt. The old farmers are about gone now and developers have bought up all the farmland and are turning them into subdivisions.
Hmmm guess i need to make a camping trip out of one weekend and go up on my property up in north ga. At least its still in the woods.
steve
johnhagen
#83 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 12:40:35 PM

Got 4 this weekend it was our opening weekend.Season wont open now till Dec 4.Our deer wiegh around 140 to a really big one of 225 pounds must be all the corn.So got our meat for next year.
skruzich
#84 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 5:45:07 PM

I let three go, too small to shoot. :( i doubt they would have weighed 80 pounds dressed. Not any meat on a deer that small.
steve
StreetLegal
#85 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 5:45:07 PM

of a story:

One November, just before the rifle-season for deer started, my brother, myself, and Jim, our huntin' buddy were in a quandry as to where to go to hunt deer. I called a rancher friend of mine over in the Western part of the state and asked him "Buz, you got any deer over there?". Buz said "Yeah...I got a few deer...you got your horses shod??".

I thought for a moment and said "Yeah...we got horses". Buz said "Good...see you Saturday morning here at the house". My brother and Jim were both excited, `cause now they had a "private ranch" to hunt on! But I knew better...I knew we'd hunt deer for two hours and work cattle for three days. But I didn't care...I knew the food would be good and the beer cold.

We were at Buz's breakfast table before sun-up on Saturday morning when Buz laid it out...he was missing some steers, and he thought they were somewhere up on the forest lease, and he thought sure we could find them all that-day if we rode out that pasture. So we trailered up to the forest boundry and unloaded.

Since the forest was public land, there were numerous deer-hunter campsites, and we rode into every camp we saw and asked anyone there if they had seen any cattle. We rode up to this one tent...we could tell someone was inside. Buz hollered-out "Hello in camp".

The ground started to tremble as this huge Apache Indian woman came out of the tent. I swear her butt was three ax-handles broad...I'd never seen anything like it before. Buz was polite and asked her about the cattle. "No...no...I ain't seen none". He thanked her and we rode out of her camp.

We rode for about five minutes without speaking...I think everyone was trying to forget what they'd just seen for fear of throwin'-up. Finally, Jim spoke up and said "Buz.......these steers we're lookin' for...what'll they weigh?". Buz said "Oh...they'll go about six-fifty or so".

Jim thought for a moment and said "I think I know where one of your steers is". Buz jerked his horse to a stop, snapped his head around and said "Where??!!".

Jim said "That Indian-gal back there was hidin'-it in her jeans!".

We all busted out laughin'. As I suspected, we hunted deer for about two hours and hunted steers for three days.

But we didn't care, the food was good and the beer was cold! [:D]