Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Tail Chewing Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2003 4:06:38 PM

It is probably fleas. That is the pattern for fleas. He may be allergic to flea bites, and it only takes 1 or 2 fleas to set him off into a chewing frenzy.
The best thing to use if you are going to stop the fleas is to 1. use some advantage, (I have tried natural remedies, and they don''t work most of the time.) 2. find something to spray his pen down to kill the fleas and then 3 weeks later kill them again to kill the larvae.
I doubt that its due to the loss of keisha. The chewing is not a typical pattern of grieving but more of a sign of flea problems. It also could be mange but you would see it in more locations than the base of the tail.
Let him stay skinny, don''t try to get any fat on him. The leaner he is the better as he won''t be suseptible to cancer as bad. Hydrogen peroxide is so harsh on the skin, you might be better off getting some silver water (collidal silver) to put on the area. Hydrogen peroxide destroys skin and alchohol will dry out the skin making the problem worse. If you have a mite problem ie(mange) use injectable ivomectin based on weight, email me if you find it is mange and i will give you the dosage, and you do this twice, first injection then two weeks later second injection. It will also kill any worms he might have. The sore is a ulcerated lesion, and the ONLY way to stop him from licking is to put a lick proof cone/collar on his head. You can get one from the vet.
Also use calendula ointment on the wound along with the collidial silver to heal him up.
steve
ginger71
#2 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2003 4:18:54 PM

Calendula (why didn''t I think of that one!) I have, so will try. Fleas we Do Not have, thank the lord! Our dogs get mosquito-ed and fly bit but since frost was September 20 ( a little late this year ) no more flying blood beasts.

When we first got Clarke, I worried about fleas, since he was COVERED in matted fur to the point we couldn''t tell one end from the other - what a mess. But once the mats were out/off and there was a big, fluffy dog in there, he ahs been clean as a whistle
skruzich
#3 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2003 4:36:37 PM

Hmmmm you might take to vet to test for demadex mange. It lives on their skin all the time but under times of stress the mites can take over and get out of control.
I would test for some parasite or pest before looking into psychological.
To heal that sore, use the collidial silver first to clean it. It will kill any bacteria, and then use the cream to add healing.
steve
Sheila
#4 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2003 6:44:27 PM

Um, to politely differ---pesticide free, flea free pets are possible. It''s actually my profession. Especially for pets with allergies, applying a poison that requires the flea to be on the pet is not a good solution, as the fleas have time to bite before they die and fall off. And, if we could kill them all, they''d be gone by now...
skruzich
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 1:00:00 AM

sheila, i have spent more money than i care to thing of trying to stop the fleas from causing gkar so much stress and pain. Nothing has worked except using Advantage. That has been the only thing i have found that controls the fleas. Garlic, yeast, all that stuff never worked. Plus i have used lavender, cedar oil, and i can''t remember all the stuff i have used. Garlic, and onions are bad for our pets too.
I am just tired of spending money on stuff that doesn''t work and seeing them suffer from the constant itching.
steve
ginger71
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 4:18:04 AM

Steve, hate to break it to ya, but GA has a lot of fleas. It''s about the only thing I like about northern MN. it''s too damn cold for the little jumping beggars!
BTW, I lived for eight years in that paradise we call Hawaii. "Paradise" for the fleas, that is, and chiggers and centipedes a foot long, and black widows and other creepy crawlies that make the neck hairs stand up on end just to remember it! My poor cats had tapeworm because of the fleas and the giant cockroaches that they would catch and eat when they tried to scutter in under the doors. My vet saw us every month.
andydufresne
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 4:33:15 AM

BACK TO THE POINT OF ORDER...

I have read a number of times that dogs are pack animals and if kept alone will exhibit strange behaviour. I have read that if you have ONE DOG it should be a house dog and not forced to sleep outside. Perhaps you need a new dog or to move your current one in with you.

BTW I am the worlds foremost expert ON my opinion. BUT, nothing else.
skruzich
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 5:28:49 AM

Hi ginger, don''t i know it about the fleas, thats why i don''t kill off all the fireants on my place. The fire ants eat the flea larva and keeps them down.
Oh and we have these neat little buggers called black scorpians. ;)
steve
Sheila
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 7:11:34 PM

Steve, I do not doubt your experience. It does not follow from that that no natural products work. One does not thrive in business for 23 years, offering (and honoring) a money-back guarantee, and with a client list of mostly "repeats" unless the product works.
skruzich
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2003 12:44:36 AM

Shelia, I am one who tries to use natural products. I believe in homeopathic, naturopathic, herbal treatment and remedies. I have to have something that works as well as advantage. I also do not want to spend alot of time having to administer it either. I do not wash my dogs every week as it isn''t good for their skin. I usually get them once a month unless they are total mudpuppies. If there is something that is guaranteed to work, i would try it. I just haven''t found it yet.
Steve
Sheila
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2003 5:57:22 PM

Hi Steve,
I won''t advertise here. You''re welcome to email me for details.

Andy, you have a good point--dogs are pack animals, and this dog is mourning the loss of its packmate. I think Ginger was onto that when she characterized this as a psychology question.

ginger71
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 4:34:22 AM

You know it took a year to get the two dogs to be within three feet of each other without growling? Keisha (the female) was the first dog (alpha) with us and she would not tolerate any dog. And we tried and tried to educate her to just get along with any dog, but Clark, at least was the patient boy and finally won her over. It also helped that we found out later that they were, ahem, lovers in a previous dogyard. Can''t find their puppies, tho''.
Both dogs were sled dogs, Clark was the lead dog and Keisha was the wheel, but at different teams. Keisha was retired the day we got her (36 miles pulling the sled that day) and Clark was given to an employee along with several other dogs (two died before we got to him and another died the next week) as final pay and he really didn''t like them, the moron. Since then, they were the most pampered malamutes on the Iron Range; heated comfort in winter and air conditioning in summer - a dog''s life.
BTW He stopped chewing his tail yesterday, but we''re still keeping an eye on it. Thanks for the advice!
ginger71
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2003 4:34:22 AM

I have a dog psychology question.

My 8-9 year old malamute (Clark) has begun chewing his tail near the base when he is left outside in his kennel even for 10 minutes. I know about separation anxiety and all, but this looks painful.

He is grieving over the loss of our other older malamute (Keisha) a month ago (seizures and paralysis), but he still has the cat to annoy [;)] and he now gets twice the attention, if you know what I mean. Even the cat grieves, in her way, since the old dog was the one she would tolerate somewhat.

Clarke is a longer haired mal, 100 lbs., NOT fat (actually no fat, I've always been trying to 'beef' him up) and he is very tolerant of letting me look and attempt treating his tail. I've been trying to just keep it clean with hydrogen peroxide. Thankfully, it is past the fly season here now, or it would be worse. What can I put on the sore to get it to heal that he won't lick off?