cattle for small scale farming. All the
sources I''ve found so far are just too
exspensive to be pratical for farming.
One site said there are less than 50
herds in the USA, maybe a good investment
though, hard to say. People keep paying
a lot for llamas and such even though
they don''t seem to have ever reached
the potential use people said they would.
CntryLvnGrl
#22 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2003 1:42:07 AM

I''ve been looking on the internet for those mini Jerseys. I found a few site with photos. Ohhh Myyy are they cute!!! But it appears that if your over 5 foot tall you might have to stand on your head to milk the lil buggers. lol The price tag on the ones I saw on the other hand was not small at all!!! Holy smokes. I was wondering though what if?..... You got yourself a small Jersey to begin with. They are not large animals to begin with. Though from how the sites talk they are huge now. So if you started with a small Jersey heifer (even a cross) you could then breed her to a mini bull. This will have a lot of time into it as you will be better than two yrs out untill your calf it ready to milk.
Galeshka
#23 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:39:04 AM

I would think that the same type of milking ''table'' useful with goats would also work well with mini cattle......and I''m not all that much over 5 feet tall anyway *grinning*. My daughter has inherited all my midget genes and then some...so at 13 years old she is still only 4''10" (and has blonde hair and blue eyes.....why yes, I DO own a shotgun, why do you ask? lol), perfect height for milking ''em!

Be well.....
aeaea
#24 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 1:37:13 AM

I was 4foot something when we last had cows in a milking parlor and that was not the perfect height. If you weren''t careful manure would splatter right in your face. Maybe mini cattle would be nice to have. They would probally eat less and there would be less manure to clean up!
andydufresne
#25 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 4:40:39 AM

MILKING TABLE????

Remember that earlier in the thread it was said that these MINATURE cows weight 300 pounds.
skruzich
#26 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 5:25:41 AM

aeaea, less manure???? You ought to be able to recoup your feed costs at least in some good quality fertilizer!!!!
Galeshka
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2003 12:10:33 PM

Yup Andy, I remember that they weigh 300 pounds......perhaps milking platform would sound better? Just have to build sturdy and have a ramp......oh, and a small trough with a treat to reward cooperation. For goats you put in a ''keyhole'' board that they put their head through to reach the feed while milking them, wonder if it would work with the cows as well?

Be well.....
aeaea
#28 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2003 2:08:50 AM

I have cleaned many pens of s*** or as you call it high quality manure. not the most pleasent job but it is good exercise. So was baling hay and carrying milk buckets. I used to have good size arms as a jr high kid from all the work I used to do on the farm.

I was thinking of a pit you stand in when you milk as cattle dont like to climb down steep slopes. You can feed the cows while you milk them and they will line up waiting to be milked.
Galeshka
#29 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2003 6:28:36 AM

the only problem I would foresee with a pit is the fact that cows (and goats, etc...) make, well, MANURE and other things...and aren''t generally housebroke......erm, nah, I think a ramp with a gentle slope.

Be well.....
crwmdpmr
#30 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2003 6:28:36 AM

I've read the article in MEN
on derry cattle, does anyone else
have any experience with other
types of minature cattle such
as lowlines etc... ?