Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
metal building as house shell Options
Greenknight
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 3:21:24 PM

Also, i do believe there is more than one manufacturer of metal houses.
Greenknight
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 4:07:22 PM

I think alot of the stuff i was planning on doing myself, not plumbing or electrical but alot of the other stuff, like painting, and drywalling. My question is, why borrow when i don''t need too. For some people it may be a good solution, but i think if i get a house built then i can borrow on that to get rental properties and put in some sweat labor on them. Also, I would to know if you have a website. I''ll check it out. Any looks have a great deal to do with real estate values. No matter what building method you choose, looks are important. Also another reason to go with a metal house is fire, and other forces of nature.
coastal hermit
#23 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 7:15:25 PM

G''night, I DO have a website but ''plugging myself'' on MEN is not right. If you want to come over and have a look (and I hope you do), please contact me through my e-mail address. In that way, I am not ''freeloading advertising'' too much off the MEN forums. I should also have added: metal makes more or less sense depending on where you are. I still think that a nice house, done right, with structural integrity is well worth the additional cost for all of the reasons stated above - and more. But I shoould also have added that Sally and I lived on our sailboat for 12 years and so ''integrity of structure'' doesn''t have to always show up the same way. Our boat had that ''simple, well-built'' quality and, when we moved on, buyers lined up. So - taking that philosophy - even a metal building can be done ''right''.
Zack
#24 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2003 12:32:51 PM

An option I’m looking into is just using the structural red iron and roof system with cordwood, Bale, or stick framing for walls and insulation.
I see miracle truss is now offering residential designs. Heritage also offers residential designs but they are overly optimistic about their insulation and the prices seem inflated IMO.

mikeg
#25 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2003 2:56:40 PM

A person I know that is retired build a metal building pole barn with an apartment in it and large enough to park his 38'' motor home and car inside. He is gone most of the time now but has a place to call home when he needs to stop for a while. As I understand he is there mostly between the awards banquet and speed weeks at Datona. He just framed up a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment and braced it on the metal building poles. He has a mail box but it is basicly taxed as a pole barn.
bsimmons
#26 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2003 2:56:40 PM

Looking at various housing options for the DIY sort.
I keep coming back to the cost/simplicity of buying a pre-engineered steel building and erecting it over a full basement. Installing floor trusses and decking, then constructing interior walls so that there could be 12" of side wall insulation. Similar construction for interior ceiling.

Advantage, quick dry-in, structure is termite resistant, low cost shell (40x60x18 with 6' overhang all around, 2" insulation all around is $16,400). This would seem to allow me to build on a pay as I go schedule as well as a place to stage components and dry lumber.

Disadvantage, looks like a metal building. Requires interior wood structure to create thermal break.

I would welcome your comments and suggestions or experiences. I know there are folks out there doing this but have only found one website with pictures and comments.
Thanks in advance