Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Difference in energy providers... Options
Garden Lad
#1 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 8:54:16 PM

If you''re talking about electricity you probably don''t have a choice. Areas are parceled out, and a company has exclusive rights to it. Often the borders make no sense.

We''re on a local co-op, for instance, with higher rates (and lower service) than the private company whose territory ends just a block away. There are only seven of us on the co-op''s lines, but we''d be a continuation of the private company''s.

Think we could get switched? Don''t bet your life on it. They (whoever has you) may not want to bother with servicing the lines and providing the power you''re paying for. But they guard their franchise like a pit bull.
Apemanevo
#2 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 9:57:57 PM

When the energy prices went through the roof in CA due to Enron''s screwing of the market the only utilities that remained price stable were those that were owned by municipalities (cities, etc). That''s my two cents.
skruzich
#3 Posted : Friday, November 07, 2003 11:32:26 PM

Wow californians call their energy bills sky high? I wish i had those low rates!
Sheila
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 08, 2003 5:30:03 PM

Steve:

I paid $75.73 for 500 KWH. You just said in the other thread that you paid $90 for 926 KWH (or thereabouts). So how do you figure that our rates here in CA are lower than yours? Just curious.
dropkick
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 7:55:29 AM

You think your power situation is screwed up and you''re probably right.
In Montana we had a good power setup ripped out from under us.
My rates have sky rocketed, I now pay more on my lowest month than I used to pay for my heaviest.
The prices are still rising.
I am also trapped in a monopoly, with no realistic possibility of it ever being broken.
On the plus side we got to be on 60 minutes.
I am leaving a link about what is happening to us (I get to worked up when writing about it), so if you want to read about the government and business screwing the consumer:

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/06/60minutes/main539719.shtml
Apemanevo
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 2:21:39 PM

Government and business working together to screw the consumer...hmmm. And here I thought we had a free market. hahahaha
begimorst
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 09, 2003 2:21:39 PM

In our town of 200,000 we have a company that says the city owns it. We have a company that is owned from elsewhere and we have a company that is a local co-op.

What's the difference? What would be the best money wise or helping the community?