Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Get to the ROOT of the problem! Options
Apemanevo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 09, 2003 10:01:48 PM

If it is that big of a root, the tree will most likely die in a few years from cutting it anyway, and fall on his house...causing a bigger crack. You can try, but watch the tree top, it''ll die first.
andydufresne
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 12:12:01 AM

A tree that big with that many roots? Won''t it just "re-route" it''s roots? ANd get it''s water and nutrients from other places?
pate20135
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:18:48 AM

Andy,

I find that unlikely. ''Pines'' are ''tap'' root type trees. The main root goes straight down, unless forced to reroute due to rock formations. In such cases, the tap root will usually follow the water flow until it can find a ''down''. That rerouting is very rare, if often amazes me just how pines can split their way through rock. And as it is the ''master'' root, thee will kill the tree, I see no way to avoid that.

Watching the top of the tree is correct, but also look for, errr, ''brown shingles'', where one ''patch'' dies. Especially for ''fir'' type pines. I have known such pines to actually be ''symbiotes'', where there is actually one tree in another, with multiple tap roots. Cutting a ''sub'' is still fatal to the master tree though.

Sorry,

Pate
weeknee
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:03:30 AM

I got to agree with PATE.I whacked a 30 foot pine in front of the house and that sucker had a tap root on it like i never seen. Stupid thing took me 4 days to dig out.I say whack the pine and plant somthing else.
andydufresne
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:34:10 AM

JUST to make sure we all understand...this root goes HORIZONTAL withing a few inches of the top of the soil and then under the house. The tree is about 20 feet from the house. Is that the tap root?
pate20135
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:58:58 AM

Is the ground that bad? Is there a rock shelf there that the tree simply could not penetrate? If so, possible. But rare. What type of pine, that does factor in. Certain types of pines thee can kill by cutting the tree itself, and the root naturally preserves, causing no more damage. In others the tree will come back from the tap root, and the tap root will ''swell'' causing more damage.

Considering the twenty feet, I fear that it is the tap root. That tree is finished it thee cuts.

Sorry,

Pate
andydufresne
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:17:42 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I''ll tell my dad. He is intent on cutting it. As for the rock shelf I don''t know....not much in the way of rock in his garden and that''s about the only place he digs. What kind of PINE? BIG. Much talller than the house. I wil let him know what will happen so he can be prepared. Thanks again.
andydufresne
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:17:42 PM

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this so I just made a guess.

My Dad's house has 3 VERY large pine trees about 20 feet from his house. His brick house is starting to show some cracking leading him to believe that one of the trees is putting a root out that is going under the house and causing the damage.

WHAT is the best way to kill THAT ROOT...he did find on within a few inches of the top of the ground... without harming the tree?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.