Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

windows Options
DanR
#1 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 6:33:05 PM

Homegrown:

You will have to build a "header" for that window. You will have to take off both the outside and the inside sheathing and, while supporting the outside wall with a temp. wall cut an opening for the new window, reframe the opening, with the header, put in the window and then resheath. A good book on carpentry should give you the basics. The size of the header will be determined by the width of the new window. But building a temp wall just inside the old wall is a must, unless you want your house to fall down. To make up for the 2x6 width, just use some moldings around the new window, just build it up like some people do a new mantle over a fireplace. Also, this would be a good time to put in any needed insulation. Just check with the building department people about any needed permits. If you can locate a carpenter in need of extra work, you could learn by being the assistant.

Hope this helps, but without knowing all the specs, just about all I can give you. I know you will love your new window.
lunailoniafaer
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2003 11:16:04 AM

I think the best tools for the job would be a nice little rotary handsaw- I''d start by trying to remove any metal or nice wood siding around the area in which you wish to place the window- you can sut it to size *after* the whole she-bang is in place- otherwise if you cut too big a hole you could end up with gaps in your siding- if you remove the siding first, it would be easier to fix.
If you could,get some old blueprints of the house to check for old pipes,wiring, ect.. If not, you can always take the power off in that room to be safe,get an extensions cord to a lamp and measure and cut through the wall (maybe 1.5 - 2") to the insulation and such. From there you can reposition wires:)

Well good luck, and I hope you''ll get in in there with no problem!

homegrowntomatoes
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2003 11:16:04 AM

We've got an old house, but it's only got one ugly room: the downstairs bedroom. There's no light! Apparently, the room was once part of the living room, but someone decided to divide the big room into two. Then since there was no window in the new room, they put in a tiny, high, useless window (must have been in the 70s sometime.) The current window is about 2ft wide by a foot and a half deep, and I have to tiptoe to see out of it (I'm 5'6"). Anyway, my Dad was at Lowe's here a while back and he saw these two huge windows leaning against a shelf with a markered tag proclaiming $10.00. He thought it was a mistake or that he needed new reading glasses. He walked back and forth past them a half dozen times before finally asking someone. Somebody had special ordered the windows and then never picked them up. So, he bought them both and gave me one for the downstairs bedroom. The window is like a picture window size, but it opens up. I can custom make a screen, no problem, but how do I get the window in the wall? Do I cut from the outside or the inside? With what? There aren't any wires to worry about as the house has minimal wiring because of the age, with all outlets on interior walls. Also, the windown was made for a house with 2" x 6" studs in the wall, but I think I can remove the interior trim of the window and it will work just fine in our 2" x 4" walls, right? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!