Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Discovery may spur cheap solar power Options
Tenngarden
#1 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2003 5:11:45 AM

They will have to be really cheap, if I read it right, they are only half as good at converting sun/electricity.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2003 2:01:28 PM

I saw that too tenngarden, it would take twice as many panels to produce the same electric. that would put them up to the actual cost of the power plants to produce electric.
Steve
StreetLegal
#3 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2003 8:39:55 PM

Doesn''t matter...the mafia will shut `em down if they start steppin'' on utility-price toes.

I predict the idea/product will fade into oblivion, for no "apparent" reason.
andydufresne
#4 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2003 9:39:03 PM

Steve: IF they can get to Utility prices THAT in and of itself would be good but they are aiming for half the cost. I got this just from that article.

Hoop
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 04, 2003 2:05:33 AM

You are correct Andy. Assuming that all goes well with this project, they hope to be able to produce electricity at half the price "on the grid".

Time will tell if this actually comes to fruition.

IF (a big if) this does in fact come into being.....it will change the world.
skruzich
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 04, 2003 3:27:18 AM

I understand andy, But it will take twice as many panels to produce that 20 cents a Watt. Remember they are only getting 10% efficiency whereas todays panels are getting 20%. That will become a major problem if you don''t have enough southern exposure space to put them on. If you put it on the ground, then you lose useful land to just house the panels.
I sure wish I had a alternative that was affordable now. I wouldn''t be opposed to having panels but would rather have windmill or water power if i could find a lot with a good flowing stream on it.
steve
StreetLegal
#7 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 5:32:42 AM

But Hoop...the people in power don''t desire to change the world...they like it just the way it is. And there is absolutely nothing they won''t do to keep it going according to plans.

A car wreck, a mysterious suicide, or maybe a Jimmy Hoffa-type disappearance...but most of the time all it takes is a visit from "Guido the henchman" who politely lays out the rules in no uncertain terms.

A friend of mine had a Russian mafia hitman come to his house and laid out some "rules"...then the guy said "I''ll be staying here in your house with you and your wife for the next two weeks"...and he did.

My friend told me "They say the eyes are the window to the soul...I looked in his eyes and he had no soul. He simply didn''t care...him killing my wife and I would be no different than you stepping on a bug".
skruzich
#8 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 1:31:09 PM

The electric company would install the cheap panels, then they would petition the PUC for a rate hike for the cost of the equipment installation.
Georgia Power is siezing people land under immenent domain laws, to build towers to send power out of state. This is a abuse of the law, as it doesn''t supply the area that they are siezing the property,and the kicker of it all is, they just applied for a rate hike to cover the cost of siezing these peoples property and running the lines.
I know that my electric bill here where i live on amicalola electric area, was 280 bucks last month. Twelve miles away in the blue ridge EMC, there is a friend that has the same house, same setup i have and his electric bill was 75.00 Why is there such a difference in rates. It doesn''t cost amicalola any more money than it does blue ridge to supply electric to us as they both buy power from TVA, and if i am not mistaken isn''t a coop supposed to save us money?
I am not against them making a profit just be fair and consistant. electricity isn''t one of those things that fluctuate widely on the price. Instead of raising the price on the homeowners during the summer they should lower the price since more is used. They give the discounts to the businesses.
andydufresne
#9 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 4:10:36 PM

Here, a few years ago ENTERGY busted a gut to keep a company from getting in to co-generation. THey would have used the steam that they generate anyway to make their own electricity. ENTERGY lowered the rate so much that it became unfeasible to do so.

Entergy built the GRAND GULF nuclear power plant.

They were required to get approval from the Arkansas PUC. They got it but ONLY after the Attorney General Bill Clinton got them to agree to NOT raise Arkansas rates to pay for it UNLESS and UNTIl Arkansas needed and bought the power from Grand Gulf. Cost overruns were terrible so they decided to go to FERC. FERC and judge BORK said that it didn''t matter what they had signed or promised to do they could charge us for it.

Aint life GRAND?
nicholasn2
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2003 4:31:09 AM

put the thing under a magnifying glass, so your square footage won''t increase.
MisterM
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2003 3:11:16 PM

I think its great, usually space isnt the problem that keeps people from going solar, its initial cost of setting up the system. Too bad I live in Washington, we get so many cloudy days a year a solar system would be less than reliable. Now if they''d only develop a super efficient hydroelectric generator that I could put on my gutter downspouts ;)
Hoop
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2003 3:11:16 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2003/...ar.cells.reut/index.html

I would love to see this come to be. Affordable electricity from the sun! Being able to say goodbye to the grid!
1/20th of the cost of todays solar!