Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Teaching at home??? Options
majere
#1 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 2:34:36 AM

Hello, Luna, long time no see. By the way, the magazine came back as undeliverable. I don''t recall the #. If thee does, and can give a better address, I can get Michael to resend.

There are lots of resources on the web. But my best suggestion is to contact your county level educational organization. They are required by federal law to assist home schoolers. And they also have lists of resources. Thee has to contact them, anyway, in most areas due to mandated testing requirements.

While we have our own schools, I appreciate that thee wanting to homeschool in thy crazy english world.

Take care,

Majere
skruzich
#2 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 1:19:27 PM

Majere, the public system is nothing more than a political training camp for liberalism. A student today in the public school cannot have a independent thought whatsoever unless it is politically correct and approved by the Government.
They just expelled a student for writing a short story in her diary, in which it was about a student that fell asleep in a school class and dreamed they shot the teacher. It was a very good piece of literature utilizing the thought processes one would go through if it were them that had done this.
We had another student suspended for a week because they listened to talk radio and there is a couple colleges out there that have a policy that you cannot listen to talk radio because it might offend someone else.
This world has gone to hell in a handbasket when you cannot say what you mean and mean what you say.
Homeschooling IMO is the smartest way to educate your children. They get the benefit of hearing truth if you teach the truth. I know that the textbooks my son brings home are so distorted and filled with half truths.
One suggestion though and I have said this before in these forums. If you homeschool, make sure that the student in their senior year goes the last semester to a public or accredited school. That way they get a classification of a "Tier1" graduate instead of a "Tier3" graduate. This will affect their being able to get a job out in the market. "Tier2" is when a person has graduation from a school, and 2 years of college.

"Tier 1" is graduate from a approved public school, and a "Tier 3" is a graduate from homeschool or private school.

Alot of companies out there hire based on this. They hire the Tier 1 people first then work down the list. Military hires recruits completely based on this structure.
There are alot of churches around that have homeschooling information and books avaialable.

Steve
majere
#3 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 4:19:27 PM

Steve, no arguement from me on the english ''training camp'' and PC environment of todays public schools. But I do have to counter that we do the same thing in ours, but definately not PC. (Beware the English!) (evil grin)

Look at the situation with my two wards.

Actually, I may have an upcoming battle. Virginia has no grade and middle school equivalent of the GED. And even if the GED exists, and both my two do, they are trying to force my two to attend.

But I may have found an ''out'', they could go to Georgia to my old alma mater, for three months. Not taking classes, but to meet residency requirements. The state is not happy, tough, take me to court, perfectly legal by US law. My adoptive father has already seen to arrangements, and wants to play grandpa.

As to Tier system, that is sick. Actually, I think that is incorrect, I think it is based on accreditation, rather than public/private. My high school was private, but with highest accreditations, and in reality, I did not attend, just showed for tests. It actually helped me in service, I had to refuse direct commission, I would have lost my college loan repayment program.

But my suggestion to Luna still stands, the county MUST assist, by law, and the little ones still must undergo standards testing.

Actually, I know of a case where the county did not assist, and after the legal action, they had to post a teacher, gratis, with the Amish school in question, under the Amish schools command structure. That person did nothing but sit in an office and endure evil looks. (grin).

Luna,

That reminds me, do you have a Silvian testing center nearby? I don''t recall where thee is from, but they have the tests also, and most states accept them. Several of our ''one room schoolhouses'' use them, so I doubt there would be much PC involved.

Take care,

Majere.
cherterr
#4 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 11:55:07 PM

Good LORD!!! The woman asked for homeschool info!!!! (i.e ''guides/books")

Hey..lunailaniafer... email me! I''m an 18 year homeschool veteran! I may have some left overs and plenty of info to save you money.. could even guide you to write your own curriculum and lesson plans.

cherterr18@hotmail.com
skruzich
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 4:01:35 AM

Uhmmm She asked for info didn''t she cherterr. ;)
Galeshka
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2003 9:35:25 PM

Hello Luna....I have also homeschooled and I wouldn''t trade it for the world. For an excellent classical education Calvert Schools offers a very good program which also includes testing, guidance and assistance by teachers accredited in the state of Maryland, and will also keep records at their headquarters. If you have younger children and wish to give them a very good grounding in the basics the Amish schoolbooks would be, and were, my choice. Abeca is a popular Christian-oriented teaching program.
If you do a websearch you will also find many useful websites dedicated to homeschooling.
How much impact government regulations will have depends on the state you are in....here in Indiana you do not HAVE to even let people know, but it is my strong suggestion that you not only do so, you keep written records of everything you do...just in case someone decides to challenge you. Most often it isn''t the government but an ''interested'' community or family member.
I pulled my daughter out of public school at the beginning of second grade when I found that not only could she not read....her ENTIRE class required a remedial reading teacher and none of the parents had been informed. When she returned to public school at the beginning of 4th grade she could read on the equivalent of a junior (11th grade) level...and she tested several grade levels above her peers in all other subjects, including math (she was pre-algebra). We didn''t study 24/7 and she isn''t a genius...but as a homeschooling parent you can teach your child by the methods which work best for him/her, you can find their interests and tie schoolwork into them, you can give your child/ren the undivided attention not found in public schools. Another thing which helps your child/ren immensely.......it is only in school that people are regimented into groups based on age, in every other area of life they can........and must, to be a successful human being...interact with people from random social and age groupings. Doing so on a daily basis, as in homeschooling, gives a child poise, perspective, strength and flexibility which cannot be replicated within an age-stratified institution.
Ack! Okay, I need to get off this soapbox now, lol.

Be well........

EliezerSilver
#7 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2003 3:05:13 AM

Hi Luna et all.,

I come to this issue from an interesting position as I was homeschooled myself from second grade through 10th. I am now attending law school so I guess in the long road it worked.

There are very many methods to homeschooling and finding one which can work for you and your individual children is vital to its success. My parents and I would have never worked with a rigid Calvert type plan that was mentioned above, but I have two close friends who''s parents tried it and it worked out for them. One of them was one of 6 so it was important to keep organized, I on the other hand am an only child so it was easier to "wing it". My parents used the scope and sequence manuals (I''m sure you can find them somewhere online) which lays out what a child should be learning in each subject each year. They attended various curriculum fairs and homeschooling conventions as well as general book stores to collect curriculum and I was also able to learn and explore things that I was interested in myself.

Its very important to find a community in which to homeschool both for the socialization of your children (I have met one to many kids that seem "homeschooled" and first look) and to help you with figuring out what works. Lots of groups exist both on religious and non-religious lines. These groups are also excellent resources to exchange curriculum and even to organized "classes" for various skills which you might not have i.e. language skills etc.

As a former homeschooler I think I suffered a disadvantage in "real" school in that I was unaccustomed to performance being based on test scores. I still am not an excellent standardized test taker but thus far it hasn''t held me back too far, if I pass the bar this summer I''ll be a lawyer. I don''t think that I suffered socially being homeschooled as I was part of a very active homeschooling group and probably had more time to meet with friends than my friends who were in school. Its important to make sure that this element of education does not fall through the cracks though, a diverse group of friends and families is probably the best source of education that a child can get.

Me and my wife hope to start having children in the next few years and have not made a definitive decision on whether we will homeschool then because it is so important to base that decision on the child and where we are in our lives at that time. If you have any questions and want to talk to a post-homeschooled homesteader drop me an email.

...Oh and about that "tier stuff" mentioned above, I''ve never heard of that. I know lots of kids that were homeschooled who had no problem getting into the college/profession of their choice.

DanR
#8 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2003 2:28:20 PM

Luna:

Here is an example of a multifacited plan. I collect stamps. I love the hobby. Get a copy of "Lynn''s Stamp News". Look in the classified section under "Topical Dealers, or Collections". Pick a topic your child is interested in and pick up a twenty to fifty stamp collection on that topic. Trust me, there are collections for just about any intrest. You will also need to buy a program for your computer to design stamp album pages, it is part of the plan. The idea is for the child to learn by learning all about the items on the stamps, what they are, where they are from, where the country that issued the stamp is, on a map, writing all this up, the older the child the more involved the work should be, and of course, the design of the pages will be the childs own. At the end the child will have a body of work that is uniquely their own. If the child is old enough, you could include in this a conversion for the local currency to U.S. currency. This, then, would include geography, writing, reading, math, ect. I have found that if you include everything in the plan the student really does not realize all they are learning. Feel free to contact me off the forum if you would like more information.
skruzich
#9 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2003 3:37:06 PM

Eliza, the tier doesn''t affect your college, it does however affect your ability to get a job. Ask any recruitment officer at any military recruiting station. They will tell you the same. The corporations won''t tell you this because they don''t want attention drawn to them over this since they use it to do their hiring. You have to remember when you apply for a job the only thing the interviewer and HR is looking for is a reason to say no. If they have no reasons to say no, then you will get the job.

Now if you really want to educate your child, you will include in their three R''s the lessons on finance, investing, saving. No better teacher than to work with them and learn how to invest money, play the stock market, mutual funds, ect. Heck make sure at the very minimum that they can balance a checkbook and see where and how the money goes. I have taught mine to avoid debt like a plague, and to live with what they can pay for in cash. This is especially hard for my boys since the first thing they want is a nice car. I have actually convinced them into buying a car for 1000 or less and driving it til the wheels fall off. Then they can take 50 - 100 a month and put into investments and when the wheels do fall off, they can go out and buy that nice car, or house, or whatever they want. You can buy houses cheap, the one next door to me auctioned off for 15,000 dollars. I would have bought it if i had the 15k to put into it.

One other thing you ought to know, if you are home schooling, your child has the right to participate in any public school function like sports. This is federally mandated. You pay taxes on the school whether or not your child attends. SO if your child wants to participate in band, or football, or even the Agriculture class or automotive, they can participate in that too.

steve
majere
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:09:02 AM

Interesting.

Perhaps I should stress that our ''homeschooling'' is not really.

Actually, let me answer some emails here.

Our schools are oriented differently from ''english'' schools. In english schools, they play what I would call a ''factoid'' game. The unscrew the childs head, pour in x number of facts, and then see how much the child can regurgitate. It is easier to quantify. But it also destroys the childs natural curiosity. While we must play some ''factoid'' games, our orientation is opposite, support the natuaral curiosity, even if it means you can''t stuff factoids. Even if a child has no ability in one area, it is considered better to gloss that slightly, to avoid the curiosity stagnation.

Our children go to a one year pre-school of sorts. It is basically a socialization thing. Then in grades one to six, we gently immerse them in english, and give the basics. There is a test that is taken to show English profieciency. Once passed the parents have the option of public or our private. No matter what, by certain federal decisions, they still must be public in high school freshman and sophomore. Then most go into the trade schools.

The concept is to give them 1) basic socialization in our society, 2) sustain the curiosity, 3) just enough of the basics to let them find their own way. If that curiosity is not destroyed, and the basic socialization (which includes a basic work ethic) is successful, there is nothing the child cannot achieve.

I am amused by another thread, the Earthrise one. A factoid. And the fact the question was asked is an example of the factoid problems of English schools.

Take care,

Majere.
lunailoniafaer
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:09:02 AM

Any info? On teaching young children at home? Guides? Books?