Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Rabbits Options
bushwack
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 7:02:50 AM

Get a Two rabbits ~ One Male, One Female. If neither is Queer you''ll be well on your way.[:I]
Garden Lad
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2003 6:18:14 PM

Thanks, Bushwack---I think.

Anybody got some, shall we say, more in-depth advice?
mikeg
#3 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2003 2:51:46 AM

Check out www.homesteadingtoday.com they have a separate section for different types of stock.
cherterr
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 12:21:15 AM

Yes.. the homesteading forum is much less emotional and much more informative!:):)
paratrooper
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 7:48:11 AM

The American Rabbit Breeders Association has a web site with a ton of info . I looked into it and I will give you some quick math that I came up with . A California White is the ideal meat animal .Best you can get . The meat is ready to harvest in 2 months . The pelt is not ready for making anything wearable for about 10 months . By then the meat must be stewed to be edible . At 2 months with all things considered you have about $2 a pound invested . This is feeding it AND the parents and other assorted things you need to spend money on .
You will learn about the global market if you study rabbits with regard to making a buck . The clothes made with pelts are made in Korea with pelts from France . It seems that they love rabbit stew . As for the droppings in the garden roses just LOVE rabbit poo . You can also raise worms in it .
If you want a breed to make money from try Angoras . You can sell the kits (baby rabbits are called kits) and you can harvest Angora wool as you brush them and this is a highly salable commodity . If you can or are willing to learn the art of spinning you can make the yarn . Sells for more . If you can knit the products there is even more money to be made . Good luck .
Garden Lad
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 12:58:19 PM

Thanks Tom.

To you have the web address for the ARBA?

We''re not looking to raise them as a business. Just to provide meat for ourselves. So we''re not looking for anything really extensive, in terms of set-up.
paratrooper
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 01, 2003 8:18:38 PM

http://www.arba.net/

As for just raising the rabbits for personal consumption I will give you a tad more math . 6 ounces of rabbit meat will be the equalivient of 8 ounces of chicken white meat . Rabbit is a very rich meat . It is rather quick filling as you eat it . Do the math in reference to chickens and you might want to raise them instead . Depends on the neighborhood . Chickens can be noisy but the manure is rather good for gardens .Rabbits make no noise at all . Good luck .
lytey
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2003 12:51:03 AM

paratrooper, who/where do you sell angora too and how do you keep the hair untill ready for sale? I had rabbits when I was young but as pets, loved um Thanks, Lyte
paratrooper
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2003 7:10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by qmykcysry

paratrooper, who/where do you sell angora too and how do you keep the hair untill ready for sale? I had rabbits when I was young but as pets, loved um Thanks, Lyte

When you join the ARBA you will get their magazine . It will contain lots of ads for rabbit cages , feed , purebreds and opportunities to make money . One of these is the ads from those that buy Angora fur . The biggest of which , if memory serves is located in Mass.
I''m not sure about methods of keeping the fur or even if it needs to be kept in a certain method . If you get the name of the company you can ask them how they want it kept . If I were wanting to do this and did not want to wait for the magazine I would put "angora wool buy/sell" in a search engine and try to narrow it down .As I said they also buy it as yarn . Local shops also buy it for sale to knitters . Good luck .
Garden Lad
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2003 12:45:59 PM

Tom, thanks for the info. I''ll check into ARBA. Sound like they are just the folks I need to use as a reference source.

We know what rabbit tastes like. We''ve eaten it many times; both wild and domesticated. My only concern is a breeding schedule that will provide for our needs, but not leave us waist deep in bunnies. I reckon I''ll be able to get that info from ARBA, one way or another.

Chickens are out, for various reasons. If I were to choose poultry I would be guineas. But the bird dogs would likely go ape.
paratrooper
#11 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2003 1:58:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Garden Lad

Tom, thanks for the info. I''ll check into ARBA. Sound like they are just the folks I need to use as a reference source.

We know what rabbit tastes like. We''ve eaten it many times; both wild and domesticated. My only concern is a breeding schedule that will provide for our needs, but not leave us waist deep in bunnies.

Well , once again the math comes in to play . You gotta know how much you want to eat and how often . The Ca White gives you 2 pounds of meat at 2 months old . You lose half of the starting weight of 4 pounds after slaughter . This translates out to about 5 servings . Nothing says that you can''t barter some meat to friends and neighbors soooooo you might want to err in the direction of too much rather than not enough . The one year membership in the ARBA is $15 . Family $30 . They have a plethora of books available to guide you in your search for knowledge . There are also a slew of rabbit clubs around . Anyone that has been a member for 2 or more years (IIRC) is in the directory . There might be some folks closer than you think to you that will be more than happy to help . Check in at the web site for SHOWS and go to one if there are any close to you.
What I told you about the pelts not being "clothing worthy" at the best slaughter time of 2 months is not to say that they are worthless . Properly tanned they make good accessories around the house . Perhaps under a lamp , a candy dish or wherever . Good luck .
Garden Lad
#12 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2003 1:58:12 AM

We're giving serious thought to getting into rabbits. Idea is to raise them for meat, and recycle their droppings in the garden.

What's the best way to get started?