Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

First Harvest Options
Tenngarden
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 5:11:21 AM

You can pickle beans using almost any pickle recipe, skipping the first part where you salt heavily, then let stand and drain.
In other words, mix the water, salt, spice and vinegar, pour over the blanched beans in a jar, seal and do the boiling water bath thing. BUT they won''t be "just like regular green beans",no canned beans are just like fresh tho.
Stephanie
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 7:20:18 AM

Haven''t used this recipe myself, but see if this helps...

Canned Green Beans

2 gallons fresh green beans
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar

Mix water, salt, sugar, vinegar and green beans, which have been snapped to 1" pieces. Place in sterilized jars after boiling the beans for 7 minutes. Seal.

To Serve: Drain beans and rinse with cold water, cover beans with cold water and heat to boiling. Drain again, now add some water and cook as for fresh beans, season but do not add more salt.

--------------------------------------------------

DanR
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 4:01:26 PM

Thanks Stephanie, that looks like it. I knew that the info would be here.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 08, 2003 1:28:01 PM

Can the sugar be eliminated? I don''t need any more sugar in my diet.
I do love the taste of the vinegar in the beans. I have pretty much gotten away from canning foods as it requires too much sugar and salt in the recipes.. I just freeze them in gallon baggies after blanching them for about 5 min.
drain the water off them and put in gallon baggies, and when you want to cook some for a recipe, Just bang the bag a bit and they break apart and you can put just as much as you need at a time.
Now who here keeps reheating a big pot of green beans? I think they get better every time. Ohh and don''t forget to put a big ole chunk of salty ham in the beans while cooking ;)
steve
dropkick
#5 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2003 11:57:17 AM

VERY IMPORTANT

I have never canned green beans-- I never planted more than I eat fresh. But I had a feeling that there was something bad you really needed to watch out for when canning beans (probably from a vague memory of something my Mom said -- and also why I never canned them).
I was right (or Mom was).

Unless you can with a pressure cooker you have the possibility of getting botulism from canned beans. Water bath canning will not kill botulism spores, also the sealed canned beans are a perfect environment for this bacteria to grow.

The live bacteria and poison it produces is susceptable to heat and boiling will kill it.
You need to boil your beans for 10 to 15 min before serving.
(The USDA and the extension services recommend boiling even your pressure canned beans - because people make mistakes)

The chance of you having botulism spores in with the beans you are canning might be slight, but if you do not take precautions your entire family could die.

2 of the links I used when researching:
www.spokane-county.wsu.edu/food/topic5.htm
www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/botulism_g.htm
DanR
#6 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2003 1:43:58 PM

Steve:

You do not taste the sugar or the salt. The reason my Mother "lost" the recipe was that my Dad had a double bipass operation and was told to go off salt. If this is the same recipe, once the beans are cooked they taste just like fresh beans.

Drop:

I understand your concern over improper food storage. However, with this method we never had any problems. The solution combined with the boiling will kill off the "bugs". The Romans used a solution of vinegar and water for their troops. It not only helped to "kill off" some of the "bugs" it also turned the warter into something like "gatoraid". We can learn a lot from those who have gone before!
dropkick
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2003 7:41:15 AM

I should have done a better job reading the method used, before I went off half cocked. Acid (vinegar) will kill botulism too.
DanR
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2003 1:39:42 PM

Hi Dropkick:

Don''t feel bad about going off "half cocked". You expressed a very real concern. One we should all be looking out for. Not all methods of perserving food will be acceptable or safe. Keep bring up concerns, it helps all of us stay on our toes.
DanR
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2003 1:39:42 PM

The first harvest of the season is coming in. Snap beans, or green beans, are now being eaten. Boy are they good![:D] My problem, my Mother lost the recipe for canning these using a salt and vinegar solution that does not require a pressure canner to save them. Sounds strange, I know, but it does work and when you open a jar the beans cook just like fresh and taste just like fresh. I would like to refind that recipe so please help. I have looked in Carla Emery's book and it is not there. Thanks in advance.