Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

caring for muscovey ducks Options
michaels
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2003 12:11:11 PM

Visit the library, look for the latest issue of Back Home. Article therein.

Michael.
mikeg
#2 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 6:33:30 PM

From every thing I''ve read they pretty much take care of themselves good mothers and unless you develope a taste or a market for them will be overrun with them in a couple of years. They will fly some so preditors will have to catch them asleep so to speak. Pen them up for a couple of weeks so they will know where home is and some cracked corn to keep them there and where you want them. If you have a barn and and other animals that is probably where they will end up.
muzzelloader45
#3 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 4:40:42 PM

muscovies are not a great deal different than any other duck when it come to there care and feeding they will do verey well if they have fresh watter and a waterfowl feed that you can get at your local farm feed store if they don''t have it on hand they can mix or order it for you. keep in mind that ducks and other water fowl are verey touchey about medicated feeds especialey the young ones so no medicated chicken feed however if you have room for them to be free rainge and a source of insects and grass you will not have to feed the verey much as they are good foragers allso they do not need shelter except in the more severe northern areas allso if they are let out to run free in a large area they will hide there nest and yes they are good mothers.
fese
#4 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2003 4:40:42 PM

I am obtaining some muscovey ducks (one male, one female and nine chicks) to reduce insects. The problem is, I am having difficulty finding info. on care. What should I supplement insect eating with? What kind of shelter is needed? How do I care for them in winter( I live in northern Iowa).

Thanks