Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
Manual Hand Tools Options
skruzich
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 1:31:22 AM

Hrmmm sounds like you need a buddy and a good xerox ;)
pate20135
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 11:29:30 PM

Hermit,

Politics is sacred. (sad smile). ''Ordnung''. If thee does not understand that reference, say so, and I will answer in a new thread.

------

Steve,

Oh, for a photocopier! We did have one, secondhand, and yes, a Xerox. But I had to divest of it, as it was causing too much controversy. And it was much too expensive to use. This is one of the reasons the new construction is going on, we need more ''secureable'' areas for certain ''worldly things''. ''Out of sight, out of mind''. And yes, one is a ''photocopier'' room. (grin)

Pate
coastal hermit
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 11:58:09 PM

I can''t say that I do, Pate. I thought ''ordnung'' was ''ordinary'' as in ''common'' and that ''Politics is sacred'' made (in part) reference to the status we place on things that represent our politics, i.e. flags, Eagles, Statues and the like. I guess I have always perceived politics as practised not unlike a religion as practised. It is hard to convert a Jew to Christianity and vice versa. Probably just as hard to convert a Democrat to a Republican. Similar emotions and elevated philosophys to deal with. Both being considered above the ''ordinary''. In reality, there is no difference (worship God or American ideals) but in practice there seems to be worlds of difference. Having said that, I have no idea what you were referring to. But I can relate to the sad smile.
pate20135
#24 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 12:43:29 AM

Hermit, will break it out. Most likely tomorrow when I get more time. And in Reader to Reader, most likely. Title will be Ordnung. I will have to pick some words carefully.

Tonight, I am waiting for the casting smith to come in, we have much to discuss. Sorry!

Pate
skruzich
#25 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 5:12:22 AM

Hi Pate, I am glad for you that you will be getting a copier room ;) I am not sure if you know this, but if you have very old documents or books, the copier itself can possibly hurt the documents with the light that it uses. I am thinking that the smithsonian uses a different kind of light in their copier to copy old books and documents. The best way is to scan them in and create a digital image to print off if needed instead of copying the document.
steve
pate20135
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:35:26 PM

Steve,

Well aware of it, the light damage to the origionals. And the scanners have the same issue. As to the special copier, that is at the Library of Congress, not Smithsonian. (grin).

Actually, that ''special'' light is not so special anymore. Ricoh now offers as an option such lights. That was actually what I requested, but was told I was, err... ''dreaming'' again.

We scan, not photocopy, whereever possible. The ''witches brew'' of the ''inks'' used in copiers are not good for our work. We have several such examples where the ''ink'' was so corrosive that it ''ate out'' the paper. Actually, the scanning is one of our more useful tools. The scanners bring out details that copiers do not. I have recovered many works that were ''erased'' and the paper reused.

That copier is for the customers. (grin)

Take care,

Pate
Bellla
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2003 7:03:50 PM

If you are looking for a blacksmith you could try those affiliated with ABANA (Artist Blacksmiths Association of North America). I''ve attended some of the conferences of the group near me and I can tell you there is some great talent out there as well as a desire to train people interested in learning blacksmithing skills or advancing the skills they already have. To find an affiliate near you go to:

http://abana.org/affiliates/affiliate_list.html

Be sure to check out the rest of the site as it is most useful (especially the resources link.)

Bellla
pate20135
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 3:54:00 AM

Bellia,

I asked one of our smiths about the ABANA. His response was that as a whole, they struck him as too ''artsy'' for his tastes. But that he would welcome the chance to review the site. I have passed the link onto him, and he will visit the Librum to explore the site.

Thank thee.

Pate
Bellla
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 4:28:43 AM

Pate,

I have found that there is a large emphasis on art and quality within ABANA, with some members specializing in certain functional aspects of metal working such as tools or knives. Their labor does not come cheaply. I did find that the members I spoke with at the conferences were very encouraging to people interested in learning. My daughter took lessons after attending her first conference and my son tried his hand at making a link for a chain during another conference.

While the art aspect of blacksmithing may not be the direction someone may want to go, contacting a local blacksmith group from the ABANA list may be a way to find a blacksmith that could make a tool for them (or show them how to do it themselves). Is there also a way such as this to locate a blacksmith from your group? (Forgive me if group is the wrong phrase, I wasn''t sure what the proper wording should be.)
By the way, I would like to thank-you for all your helpful suggestions and explanations to the different topics that I have read on this board.

[:)]

Bellla
pate20135
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 7:06:13 PM

Bellia,

On the suggestions, most welcome. I enjoy it. It is a natural continuation of my work in this enclave, here I don''t have to be or play to a preconcieved vision/role of ''THE Patriarch'', I can be more ''human''. I get to relax a bit, and not worry about politics or the image, etc. Here I can express my humor. In a relaxed fashion. Such is a no-no, ''in-role''.

As to finding one of ''our'' blacksmiths, good luck! It is more of a case of being on the ''inside''. Ours simply have too much to do and so no desire to take in work from the ''outside''. The best way I can think of is to find the nearest enclave or community to thee, find the ''general store'', every enclave/community has one, and ask for directions. Also ask that a ''grapevine'' signal be sent so that he will be expecting thee. Else he may think thee is tourista, or federal. Oh, and another tip, ours do not limit themselves to the ''black metal'', they do all metals. And yes, I don''t know a single one who will not take an apprentice, but be ready to really work!

Take care,

Pate
FilthyK
#31 Posted : Thursday, July 03, 2003 7:06:13 PM

I've done some searching, and I even went back to the thread someone put up about the Underhill wood-working shows on PBS, but I cannot find a manufacturer for this stuff!

Are old-school hand tools still made, or am I 100 years too late?

[8)]