Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Help! In search of.... Options
andydufresne
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2003 4:10:37 AM

I think I would find the folks who hang out at your local health food store. Folks in the Green Party...whether you agree politically with them or not, folks like that....THAT is where you will find that kind of thing. Just off the top of my head... I think your best bet might be finding some Yuppie couple that wants a homestead but only on weekends. Good Luck.
majik
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2003 2:00:06 PM

Try looking up "Organic farming Woofers" on the net. Woofers are "willing workers on organic farms", and many farms take on apprentices. Working conditions vary, of course. I know a couple of organic farmes and they take a few woofers each season, so maybe you can find someone in your area. Good luck.
Piscesnaturally
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2003 7:38:28 PM

Oh my gosh! Thanks you two!! Once again my spirits are lifted! hehehe I shall check around and see if any of those ideas surface things for this area!!!
scottmcalpine
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2003 8:06:32 PM

You might try the ATTRA (Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas) intern website. The address is http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/intern.html. This lists dozens of California farm internships. Good luck - I would love to do this sort of thing too.
Piscesnaturally
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2003 11:29:37 PM

Thank you for the link, Scott!! Are you in CA as well??? It would be nice to meet more green-minded people out here!
scottmcalpine
#6 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2003 7:28:27 PM

No, I am in Ohio, but the ATTRA site lists internships all over the country, grouped by region. I checked the West region to make sure there were California listings before I replied to you, but I generally look at the Midwest regional listings for myself. I own some land here and dream (off and on) about quitting my job and establishing a CSA/farmer''s market produce business, with the idea that I''d work an internship or two first to learn how such things operate. Sounds like you might be a little closer than me to taking the leap...but maybe I''ll get there someday. In the meantime I do enjoy the intern ads, and reading them makes me determined to make the most of my little backyard garden!
Piscesnaturally
#7 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2003 11:48:17 PM

HAHAHA- Believe me, dear Scott....I am in NO way ready! But I figure what better time to do it than the present? Right? hehehehe At least this way I can prepare myself for what may need to be done in order to go on out there! At least you have the land...I still have quite a way to go! But I am up for the challenge that it entails!
Terri
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 02, 2003 11:46:19 AM

There is also "The Caretaker Gazette", that matches caretakers to out of town property owners.
radiomedic111
#9 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2003 7:00:55 AM

hello piscesnaturally : i am not shure what you are looking for exactly but i have 10 acres in the grants pass area ...and have thought from time to time that it would be nice to have some one to live there in exchange for watching the place while i am away and then help with the place during the time that i am there with tending the garden and such ....if this sounds like somthing that you might be intersted in please feal free to e-mail me(radiomedic111@hotmail.com)
and i can send you pic''s of the place and the garden.
jinxd
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2003 2:36:42 PM

LOL... Woofers...I remember way back when ..they were called "Communes" I stayed at one when I was 18 ,Gaskins Farm one in North Carolina and one in upstate New York Don''t know if they still exist but the concept was live from what you sew from the Earth they were also vegetarians, first time I ever tasted Soy milk or Soy Cheese. 1977 what a great year.Ah but I digress... did''t I read in mothers last issue about a self suffient community in Missouri? Maybe look for something like that .that are willing to accept newcomers
cherterr
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 09, 2003 10:16:49 PM

Hi... check out my first post in Homesteading "EARN YOUR ACRE"
Piscesnaturally
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2003 12:59:31 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful news and insights! Radio...I am SOOOOOO more than interested in your offer! I think I may need to email you!
skruzich
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2003 1:20:06 PM

I have been told that the one up in tennessee still exists, it was called the farm back 15 years ago.
steve
Piscesnaturally
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2003 1:20:06 PM

Hello all...please forgive my ignorance with this question....I live in CA, and would truly love to be able to work on a homestead/ranch. I would like to be able to do what I guess would be considered an apprenticeship type of deal. I am a single mom with 2 boys, and would love to be able to work on the land, and learn all that there is to running and maintaining a homestead. Does anyone know of anything remotely similar to this out here in CA? Or know of any sites I can research? Thank you in advance for your help!