Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Goat question Options
StreetLegal
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2003 5:14:41 AM

Goats are fun, cute, entertaining...right up until you come out of the house one morning and find goat tracks on the hood of your truck...then it''s "cabrito" time!.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2003 2:17:21 PM

ROTFLMAO hehe, I assume that it was a BRAND new truck too huh
StreetLegal
#3 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2003 4:10:29 PM

Of course it was new. Goats know these things...I don''t know how they know, but they know.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2003 7:28:50 PM

I am going to stop and ask about how much some folks want for some nubians i saw the other day. I might end up riding home with a couple goats in the cab. hehe. They are kinda cute. I have a pup that would love playing with them. I am not so sure about my other dogs, i have found that it takes a month or two to integrate a new animal into the mix. They seem to understand when a new animal is under my protection, but I still have to watch them til they get used to it. But i would think that a goat could handle a couple dogs.
The biggest dog i have is a treeing walker hound.
Oh and i do not have a brand new truck. But i imagine they would find my boat and try to make it theirs.
Its funny when i was working full time in the rat race, I could of afforded brand new stuff like a bass boat and such, but settled for buying a little aluminum boat with trailer for 500 bucks, and then i got a motor for it that used to be my grandfathers. Its a johnson 35 hp built in 1959 and runs real good today. Less than 100 hours on it. I have bought three things new in the past fifteen years, that was a mitsubishi mirage that i drove til the wheels Literally fell off as i was driving into the car dealership the balljoints fell out, and then i bought my Blazer in 1998, still driving it. And my house. Now my blazer is 8 months from being paid off, and my house is my only millstone around my neck. I am working on that though, as soon as i can get the foundation poured for my Mortgage free home, I will be in it as soon as i get the walls and roof up and then i will rent out this millstone to pay the note. Eventually the property value here would exceed the value of the home and i might even make a dollar on it.
I am so close to mortgage free i can just taste it! I won''t know what to do with all the free time i will have. Just think, at least 20 hours a week goes to housing. EEKS!
steve
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2003 3:16:02 AM

Another 20 hours goes to taxes...
Dorene
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2003 4:59:55 AM

Hey Steve, I''m not sure exactly what kind of goats a friend of mine has, but I know that she was bragging that one dairy doe will put out a gallon per milking. That''s two gallons a day during the season. That''s a lot of milk for one goat and I think they are pretty easy to feed being they will eat about anything. An automatic mowing/fertilizing defense mechanism that is soft and warm and ornery. You would be surprised at the number of people who are scared of them, especially if you get one that has horns. They are better than sheep because they will stand up to coyotes, and win. I think there were some articles in ME on them and also on making cheese. One day.... I''ve wanted them for a long time, but mom has been dead set against them. She is being won around, but I am still terrified of what would happen to me if she walked out and found the goat laughing and dancing on top of her new car with one of her tomatoes in it''s mouth. I''m sure it will be a very painful death. For me.
skruzich
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2003 2:19:41 PM

ROTFL! Hehe, Now that would be a site worth a painful death hehe. ;)
steve
mikeg
#8 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 1:41:40 AM

Unless you just have killer dogs you should be fine. They are escape artists and will try your patience at every opertunity. If you like your milk and want it coming year round breed them at different times so one is giving milk when the other one is dry. If you don''t plan on getting in the goat business bread them to a meat goat. As far as the feed they will eat about any thing that grows and will clean up areas you don''t want to get into just remember that what they eat goes into the production of the milk so you get all the flavor that goes with it. Lots of fresh water and some grain while you are milking a leaf of hay a day and all the honeysuckel they can eat. If you have the room you can start a feeder calf on the surplus milk if you get tird of eating cheese. good luck
StreetLegal
#9 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 1:54:18 AM

I''ve always wondered about how/if goats milk flavor would be affected by their feed...it makes sense, my dad (claimed) he could always tell when a milk cow had been turned-out on a wheat field by the smell and the flavor.
skruzich
#10 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 2:00:56 AM

Anytime your goat or cow gets into the onions, you will know it! hehe.
I remember my grandpa cussing up a storm one day cause the cow got into my grandmothers herb garden and ate all the dill. Boy it took a week before we could drink milk from her.
steve
Galeshka
#11 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 4:39:16 AM

I have been considering crossing cashmere and mohair goats, but there is one problem standing in my way....hubby and I can''t agree on whether they should be called mo-cash or cash-hair goats...

Be well....
cherterr
#12 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 4:55:18 PM

I have 5 nubians (two born here - tee hee) ANYWAY.. Where to start.

If you get one to milk... get an already bred doe & plan on Bottle feeding kid a couple days after birth.

OR... get an already EXPEIENCED doe.

OR .. raise babies... cheaper, but very time consuming!! Well.. they''re easy enough to tame.. just feed ''em once or twice a day and soon they''ll be running over you!!

BUILD or get a milking stauchun. (sp?) Personally, I hate goat''s milk. Only would use in dire necessity.

ON fencing.... This morning I got to go outside nice and early, walk several acres.. and drag them back to the property to eat! (Don''t feed in summer.. pleanty to munch) They were way over at my nieghbors. I can''t seem to keep the fence Goat proof... that is the only drawback to goats that I can see. But they are very positive otherwise. Clear forested areas, etc. (And your shurbs!!:):)

Check out some websites on goats! OH.. The first Nubian I ever got (still have her.. must be 8 yrs by now).... was wild as a march hare and could never milk her.. but that''s okay.. cause she thinks she is a horse anyway!! (Still does!!:):) SHE HAS to go with Xena (daughter''s horse) EVERY time she rides!! We always get to worry if "Nanny" is going to die of a heart attack or heat stroke. *Silly Goat*
patrick46135
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2003 5:30:59 PM

Our goats learned about electric fences pretty quickly. Haven''t had any more escapes since then. I just make sure the elctric wire is about 2/3 of the up the fence so they can munch at the bottom of the fencerow.
skruzich
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 14, 2003 5:30:59 PM

Hi yall,
I am considering buying me a couple goats. I am looking at the nubian i think is the breed and was wondering a couple things.
1. How do they handle being around dogs.
2. Is there any particular problems with this type of goat.
3. How much milk would i get from a doe.
4. Does anyone know what kind of cheeses could be made from the milk.
5. Are they expensive to feed?

I will probably think of other questions too.
steve