Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Geese Options
mikeg
#1 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2003 9:14:24 PM

How large is the pen, it may be easy to cover the top of the pen. I know you have large cats bobcat for one is quite common in Florida I have seen several in the okeechobee area, and a bobcat can clear a 5'' fence without having to think about it.
johnhagen
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 05, 2003 11:04:46 AM

Coyote,bobcat,fox,
skruzich
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 05, 2003 12:06:13 PM

Hmmmm from the last encounter i had with a goose, I would put money down on the goose winning. ;)
Wolfie
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2003 3:08:42 AM

We had pet geese a few years ago on our farm in Oregon, we also allowed them to roam free during the day but kept a pen for them and shut them in it for the night. The pen was larger so they had room to roam if we did not want them loose at some times, but we also had a smaller area enclosed within the pen that was covered so there was no access to them once they were shut in. They were a beautiful pair of geese, and they liked to watch through the living room window when I played the piano. At times, their necks would sway in unison in time to the music! I''ve had people tell me I have a great imagination, but they really, really did. My whole family saw it, it was neat. In the end they weren''t caught by an animal but by humans who rustled them... by the time I found out it was too late and they were in the freezer. I was furious as well as very disappointed. Geese make great watch"dogs" - they will often tell you if anything is going on. The ones we''ve had were very affectionate and tame.
cherterr
#5 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 5:20:56 PM

Keep them up at night. End of subject. I''ve been through so many geese.. it makes me sick.. and I have a pond. If you don''t lock um up at night, SOMETHING''s bound to get at them sooner or later. I love Tolouse!
Catherine A. Gay
#6 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 5:20:56 PM

We have two Embden Geese as pets. They have the freedom to roam our acreage during the day, but at night we worry about predators. They have a pen with 5' fencing all around but it is open on the top. I am looking for information out what predators in South Florida could hurt them or gain access over a 5' fence. We have never seen foxes, but do have racoons. As we do not have a pond they can excape to we are keeping them crated at night.

Many thanks.