Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Beekeeping and Honey Options
Bruce Holman
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 05, 2003 1:05:49 AM

Thanks, Andy!
Sounds as if you''re having fun developing your plans!

When we lived in Upstate NY we started with two hives, and eventually ended up with ten. Never marketed the honey, but used it to swap for goods & services. We''re in Missouri now; we started bees a couple of times a few years ago, but each time lost them to the mites. Going to take another shot at it this Spring--my understanding is that most of the bees being marketed now are more or less mite-resistant (some more than others).

When you''re ready to set up a website you might try dreamwater.com as a host. They offer a LARGE bunch of web-space for free, and their advertisements aren''t as obtrusive as most free-sites (and for a relatively few bucks you can have your site ad-free).

Good luck!
andydufresne
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 05, 2003 7:04:50 AM

Thanks...I think I have found a good host for my site...the domain name thing is pretty easy and about the same as every where. I was absolutely committed to using GLASS rather than plastic bottle till I saw what the glass costs. The cost is enormous! ALSO shipping is much more. DON"T WORRY STEVE...when I ship you some I"ll find some glass jars. ;-)
andydufresne
#3 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 3:29:03 AM

I have registered some domain names.

www.oldlittlerock.com that will be for selling my BBQ Sauce
www.millridgebooks.com that will be for selling my books and tapes
www.arkansasredwoodfarm.com THAT will be the site for my fruit farm and selling the honey.

There are no sites up yet but when they are I will let you all know. I am getting more and more excited about all this.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 3:47:04 AM

Andy i don''t think honey would be affected by plastic. It isn''t acidic, or saline to it. I do however see almost all honey stored in glass jars, or tin cans. Haven''t seen it too often in plastic unless you get gallon jugs. I can''t afford 26 dollars a gallon. ;(
Most of the bee keepers here put it in mason jars. Pint and quart. Might try that for less cost. It is however more difficult to get a glass jar to a destination if UPS or postal service handle it. Usually they drop kick all packages. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by andydufresne

Thanks...I think I have found a good host for my site...the domain name thing is pretty easy and about the same as every where. I was absolutely committed to using GLASS rather than plastic bottle till I saw what the glass costs. The cost is enormous! ALSO shipping is much more. DON"T WORRY STEVE...when I ship you some I"ll find some glass jars. ;-)

andydufresne
#5 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2003 5:18:08 AM

I see it in plastic all the time at grocery stores. The guy I bought my bees from puts his in mason jars.

I think I will go with mostly plastic.

Marine
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 07, 2003 11:33:17 PM

I am very interested in bee keeping myself. Just have not tryed it yet. hopefully next year. Great info, Thanks, Also for a resonable priced and good quality web sight you should look at www.webdesignsbylori.com I have a friend that has a kennel and he got a web sight and was very pleased.
skruzich
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:02:39 AM

OK I am bit by the idea. I have a bunch of cedar wood about 12" wide and 1" thick. I am looking at building myself some hives, and frames and start keeping some bees. Not sure if i will succeed at it but why not give it a try. I figure that 68 bucks for one box is a bit steep so I should be able to make one. Can''t be that hard to build.
I will let ya know if i get one built.
I have all winter to build and get a hive ready as springtime is when you start a new hive from what i have been reading.
Steve
Marine
#8 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 1:19:56 AM

You have probably done a lot of research about beekeeping but I saw a great show on beekeeping on the diy tv. They have a schedule on www.diynet.com The show was very informative, showing how to build a beehive and harvest the honey. It was mostly automated but still interesting.
cherterr
#9 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 5:13:16 PM

I''ve always wanted to try bees, but been to scared! Maybe this forum will be supportive!! Keep talking, you guys!!:):) Thanks!
andydufresne
#10 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2003 5:13:16 PM

Taken from Cooking...

>

I don't have a site for things like that yet. I have picked a name for my future apple farm and I will use THAT logo. It will have a redwood tree on it...and for the honey probably a bee as well.

I am intending to sell the honey locally as well as on the Net and I think using that logo will help me PR wise for when I want to sell apples in 10 years.

Keep an eye on these forums. Once I have some domains secured I'll make mention of it here. I don't want to be TOO cryptic but all of us think we have the NEXT GREAT NOVEL or whatever and I don't want to give away my marketing ideas till I have them nailed down legally.

Not sure about mite resistant....I do remember reading of them but I bought my bees locally. I have 2 hives and have agreed to get two more by the end of the month. The man I am buying from just had his inspected before I bought the first two. They are Italian bees.

I am enjoying this a lot. I just read BEEKEEPING FOR DUMMIES and learned a lot. I am very new to this and will make my first honey harvest next fall.

I got into it to provide pollination for my garden and fruit trees.

There's several websites for buying supplies, I THINK it's best to buy locally if you can...that way there is on adjustment to climate.

GOOD LUCK...I hope this answered your question.