Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Deer Fence Poles Options
bushwack
#1 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2003 7:10:17 AM

I have never done business with any of the links below, but maybe they’ll help you.

www.deer-busters.com
www.valleyfence.net/VFWI421.html
www.wirelessdeerfence.com/wdf/howtouse.htm
www.bennersgardens.com
www.johnsonnursery.com
www.electricfencecompany.com /non-electric-fence-systems-deer-fence---virtually-invisible.html
www.deerxlandscape.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/BlankPage4.html

pate20135
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 12:20:00 AM

Carl,

Thank thee for the links. Some were real eye openers. They actually attact deer to zap them? Sheesh. Alas, I did not find what we needed. Will keep looking. In the meantime we have an emergency shipment of 12'' ''highway sign'' poles coming in.

FYI, we also use it as ''tourist'' fence. Like deer, if tourists don''t see the garden, they won''t enter. (grin)

Take care,

Pate
skruzich
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 1:52:09 AM

Hi pate, I would assume that a Do Not Enter sign would require too much intellegence from the tourists. :)
DanR
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 1:49:29 PM

Pate:

You, of all people, should know that people never read signs. As for deer, if the fencing material is not real heavy, could you not make the poles out of pipe? Also, remember to put out some white "flags" as they, when the wind blows, will send the deer the other way. Now, if only hunting season were this early, you could have your freezer already full!
andydufresne
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2003 4:00:35 PM

WHy not just put up signs that say NO DEER ALLOWED. It seems to work on the highway...they usually cross right where those deer crossing signs are so we know they can read. [:)]

pate20135
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 12:33:39 AM

Ach! Some of the humor here.

---

Steve,

Touristas did read the signs. To locate and let the kiddies into the ''playpens''. Hence, no more signs. This is also how we learned that the deer fence was good tourista fence. They do not seem to see the deer fenced gardens. (I still can''t believe the parents left the children!)

---

Dan,

See above.

As to using pipe, ropes between trees, etc, we thought of that, and discarded it in favor of the ''step-ins''. 1) image. 2) little impact on the environment, 3) blend in so well. 4) easy to move. 5) stand up well to our ''steady breezes''. The Ams and Amish now carry such on the buggies, etc, and erect it when they park, so the touristas do not... well thee knows.

The incoming emergency poles were selected as they are a dull green that blends in well. But this is a temporary emergency measure.

I think we will dispence with the white flags, they might be a tourista lure. (grin)

As to filling the freezer, is that why so many of the links above were electric? Have we discovered a new form of ''homesteader'' entertainment / humor / harvesting? Here, Bambi! ZAP! "Honest Officer, I did not hunt him, he leaned against my fence!" Sheesh.

Which reminds me, dinner is vension, ever had a real ''virginia ham''? Same cure. I am to be the ''guinea pig''. The deer was harvested as was cripled.

---

Andy,

The ''no deer allowed'' sign idea is just crazy enough to work. I too am not convinced the deer cannot read. They seem to know which areas are preserves, and which are not, and what times of the year. They are not hunted here inside the enclave. But it looks like a thinning of the ranks is in order, sad to say.

---

Well, I am still searching, but little hope remains now. I did finally locate a (apparently only) manufacturer. No longer made. No large enough market. And no ''leftover'' stock.

I am meeting with the metal casting smith. We are looking at making our own. Something along the lines of a piece of rebar, made into a spike, cast into a shoe that has a socket to hold a wood 1''x1'' ''pole''. Perhaps a new product for the store up on the highway. Or perhaps even make a plastic injection mold for the ''shoe''. But I will still need the smiths assistance to make that mold.

Take care,

Pate
DanR
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 3:04:39 PM

Pate:

Sorry for the delay in replying, kidney stone (no fun, for sure). Do you intend to move your fence around each year? If so, could not the blacksmith put your "spade" on the bottom of a pipe? I am interested in a "lite weight" movable deer fence, so I would like to know how you come out. As for using fast moving electrons on deer, they do not work very well, even aginst cows. By the way, I have had your "ham", only they called it the Arkansas ham. But I like deer meat almost anyway you wish to fix it. My remark on deer season was that you would reduce the perssure from deer and would make the ones that remain less interested in returning to your garden. You might try "black" fishing line across the deer "trails" leading to your garden. Deer don''t like to cross something they can not see, but feel. If they are moving slow, it will stop them. If they are moving fast, well they just go right through it. Some of my co-workers tried this at their home where they could not "kill off the deer", and found that it did reduce the number of deer returning to their yard.

Keep us informed of your results.
pate20135
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2003 11:11:00 PM

Dan,

I have never had stones, or directly know any who suffer such. We usually die before that. I may be one of the first to have the ''opportunity''. Thanks for giving me something more to look forward to. (sad smile)(And I do believe I am getting arthritis!)

That project is pretty much finished. We needed a solution, fast. We created a three part mould to make the shoe. The shoe is nothing more than a block of drinking soda bottle plastic with a piece of rebar (the spike), and a 1" square by 8" deep socket, and a ''stomp'' plate cast in. The socket is to hold the wood ''mill end'' 1x1. Look at the ''step in'' four foot high white electric fence poles. Same thing, but larger, longer spike, and no ''pole''. Another benifit was the net could already be attached to the poles, so easier to errect, and transport, such for the buggy use. We made about a hundred. And put a dozen in the ''tourista trap'' store up on the highway. They are sold out. Especially as they are sold complete with nicely painted and decorated poles. (smile). Touristas, gotta love ''em.

Already, one of the english suppliers is to our little ''trap'' is, err..., ''sniffing''. Oh, we can''t go into ''full production'', nor can we set up as ''mail order'', we don''t have the plastic supply (which is also now reserved for another project), but thee may soon be seeing very simular in the garden stores. In fact I know thee will, the ''sniffing'' supplier manufactures for and has a lot of large chain clients.

The black line idea sounds like a good one. My concern is how to keep a tourista from that. Hmmm...

On the ''ham'' it was very good. I wish I had known thee had such knowledge, it would have made for less ''mistakes''. Now, tonights fare may be a bit much, even for me. Baked coon. We had a small war.

Tonight we have another Council. If I survive ''dinner''. One of the things on the agenda is the deer problem. How to thin the herds without being too visible doing it. Yes, the athorities will be there. Nothing illegal. I certainly hope the albino buck is spared. I have seen him on many a foggy morning.

Take care,

Pate
DanR
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2003 2:58:23 PM

Pate:

Deer are animals of habit. They like to follow the same trails everyday. If you can find where the deer are leaving the woods, you put the black line across that trail, and to some distance to each side of the trail. As to tourist, you have to both love and live with them. For tourist, a good chain link fence works best. But I have even seen them climb over that. If you wish to see a real bunch of dummies, go to the Great Smokey Mountians National park and watch them whenever they see a bear. It is a wonder that the bears do not kill more of them. Why is it that, at home, some people are very intelegent, but on the road as tourist, they become the "country bumkin" type? However, without them the "tourist traps" would all go out of business. As an afterthought, why don''t you write up your results for an article for Mother? That way all would benefit from your design.
skruzich
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 29, 2003 4:08:26 PM

Hehe Dan, Those same tourists are probably the same ones that years ago when i lived in boulder colorado, they would come out to protest the nuclear facility there. They would ignore the warning signs, ( which proves the inability to read and understand english)and they would climb the fence. Now this is wquite a amazing feat since they have to climb 18'' of fence, and at the top they have to get over razor wire. But they managed to do so without cutting their fool heads off. What is more interesting they are doing this with M-16''s aimed at them and military personell telling them to halt. What is even more astounding is that the military has orders to shoot to kill anyone entering illegally and yet there has not been 1 person shot to this day.
People (tourists) can become the most stupid of the animal kingdom.
steve
pate20135
#11 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2003 1:21:26 AM

Dan,
As to writing articles for Mother, I have been begged many a time. Simply not enough hours in a day. And that one, should I do so, would be a full issue, plus. I would have to cover injection moulding, slab moulding, etc. A lot of material!

Steve,
I disagree, not ''can become'', touristas ARE the most stupid. We are considering closing the ''demo farm'' at the end of this season. Too much overhead in the clean up, the policing, etc. It is losing money.

Take care,

Pate

skruzich
#12 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2003 3:50:00 PM

Pate, You just hit one of my major pet peeves! I live in a Tourista town ;) Where we have a festival about every other month during the year. What i cannot understand and get quite upset about is the mentality of these people. They come up here to dahlonega, and trash the place. They throw their papers trash, everything on the ground. I was up town one day during such a festival and saw a family standing next to one of the 300 trash bins around this small town and throwing their trash on the ground right in front of the bin. Needless to say i couldn''t hold my tounge and dressed them down for it. They actually picked up their trash and some other trash around that bin.
After the festivals end, we have to pay our city workers to clean this trash up and it takes at least two days to do it. I even feel that the vendors that come to this festival to sell should clean up the areas that they rent for their tents but that won''t ever happen.
Anyway, Yes i understand your frustration with tourista''s. What will yall do with the demo farm if you close it?
Hehe, Theres a way to make some money, place signs stating that it will be a 100 dollar fine for littering and have someone going around writing tickets to those who do ;) GRIN
Might even solve the tourista problem
steve
andydufresne
#13 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2003 7:08:14 PM

Steve:

I don''t own a food bussiness but I worked in one at a local festival over Memorial Day Weekend.

The vendors PAY for the space and pay a percentage. IN this case it was $600 plus 30%. That''s why stuff is so much higher at festivals. Part of the "service" for paying the fees is that you don''t have to police your area. The guy I worked for could NOT have made any money. He paid workers and fees and food costs etc. I felt bad for him but he said it was all part of the game and in a couple of years he''ll get bumped up to a better spot where he CAN make a profit.
skruzich
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2003 12:53:19 AM

I understand andy, its just that These tourists wouldn''t throw trash down in their own yard, so why go to someone elses home and throw trash down.
Thats what my pet peeve was.
Steve
andydufresne
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2003 4:31:50 AM

I feel the same way. Thing is I see folks ALL THE TIME that would never think of throwing a wrapper out the window that will toss out a lighted cigarette. Go figure.
mikeg
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2003 5:23:30 PM

There are a few states out there now that if you are seen throwing out a cigarette it is a major fine and may be jail too.
DanR
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2003 7:28:40 PM

South Carolina now is a no exceptions state. The fine is $1000.00 and six months in jail. However, some are allowed to "clean the highways" instead of jail. Sometimes when I go for a walk I carry a plastic bag to pick up trash along the road. Some people will trash anything. I will step down now, again.
pate20135
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2003 7:28:40 PM

Ach! The supplier stopped carrying them!

Folks, I need a lead/contact for 'deer fence poles'. These are the same as the 'step in' four foot plastic electric fence poles, but longer, 8 foot, and, of course, larger. They are used to hold 'deer fence' or 'deer mesh'.

Anyone have a point of supply?

Pate