Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

FIREPLACE DRAFTS...BRRRR Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2003 4:02:04 AM

Fireplaces are notorious for wasting heat. That is why they came out with the fireplace inserts. The only way to stop heat from going up when your gas heat kicks in is to close the flue and make sure it is airtight.
You might consider putting a insert in it.
Steve
StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2003 4:06:06 PM

Yep...steve is right. A good fireplace (oxymoron?) will draw the air needed for combustion from outside the home. This means your furnace-heated air is not going up the chimney.

Of course, you''ll have to keep the glass doors on the fireplace closed to force the fireplace to draw from outside.

A heatilator draws air from inside the home, circulates it around the firebox, and back into the home. Replacing your old fireplace with a modern fireplace w/heatilator is probably your answer.
andydufresne
#3 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2003 8:19:47 PM

Benjamin Franklin invented the Franklin Stove for that very reason. There was an ENERGY SHORTAGE...as Philly got bigger wood to burn was farther and farther away. Franklin refused a patent on his design saying it was necessary to help the country in a time of crisis. We have some folks that could learn from him.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2003 8:34:07 PM

We do have people who refuse patents and copyrights these days, If you look at gnu.org there is a ton of software that is public domain because they see the good that it can do for the society.
Just need more folks like that.
Steve
crownlady
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2003 1:19:40 AM

Hey Streetlegal...I must have not explained it well. One fireplace in the new addition does have the heatolator thingy...and also glass doors that are tucked in a cabinet and not being used. We do keep the flues on both fireplaces closed when we are not using them...But when we strike up a fireplace...whoosh goes all the heat in the house up the opened flue. How exactly does the glass doors work..I wondered about that. Hummm. Sorry but this our first fireplace experience and so far..not good.
skruzich
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2003 2:22:52 AM

Crownlady, the way the fireplaces are designed, when they aren''t burning anything, you won''t get a airflow through it. The pressure in the flue is stable. When you start a fire in the fireplace, the flue gets super heated and the heat rising will cause a draft which pulls fresh air in from your house. When that happens, it will suck every ounce of heat in the house out the flue.
The only way to stop this is to have a heatalator or even a franklin stove with a steel plate over the fireplace opening to seal it.
The flues on both fireplaces are NOT air tight. The heat from the fireplaces warp the metal over time and you will never get a fully closed flue. Glass doors are ok, not the best. Fireplaces are for show. You can use them for cooking if they are big enough and you have dutch ovens but for the money, i would rather have a franklin or a monarch stove and put a steel plate over the face of the fireplace which will help radiate heat.
steve
mikeg
#7 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 12:43:30 AM

To keep this theft of house heat you need an outside air source directly into the fire box area for combustion and you need doors on the front that have a gasket to seal the house air. The out side air duct should have a way to control the amount of air to control the burn. Without this set up the fire place will pull outside air into you house that you heater will need to heat up. If you do not have an outside air duct and your house is very tight it restricts the draft and smoke will come out into the house, not a good thing.
StreetLegal
#8 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 1:48:03 AM

* * * Is it the entire internet, or just my ISP??? [:(!][:(!] * * *

Sorry, I''ve been having connection problems of late...

Crownlady, steve and mikeg answered your questions better than I ever could have. Maybe if I explain it another way, it''ll help:

Fire requires oxygen to burn, as we all know. Without the glass doors, the fire will draw your (expensive) furnace-heated air into the firebox and send it right out the chimney. If you put the glass doors on it, it will draw its'' combustion-air from outside the house, provided the fireplace is built in such a manner.

---

I might add that a "gas log", which many people use in lieu of wood-burning, is not efficient source of heat either.

To make a natural gas flame burn in the desired yellow color, the gas/air ratio is tweeked to where there is too much gas and not enough air, which is a waste of gas. An efficient burn produces a blue flame, like your gas cooktop.

I think steve summed it up when he said "fireplaces are for show".
crownlady
#9 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2003 1:48:03 AM

Last year we purchased a home with two fireplaces. One fireplace in an addition that is new with a heatalator and the other that was originally wood burning and came with the original house. I could not wait for the first snowfall..to curl up with a good book and a cup of cocoa. Well curl up I did but I needed a heavy blanket because most of the hear from the fireplace and the house went up the chimney. I started leaving the flue half closed which I think may be dangerous. Then I got the gas bill..yowsers...it was sky high from that lazy, crazy day. Whats up with this??? I thought fireplaces were for warmth. It is not working out at all. All the heat in the house goes up when the gas furnace kicks on. What can I do???