3 Pages <123>
PV questions Options
skruzich
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 2:38:40 AM

Heres another site. Found this tonight, it looks interesting

http://www.solarhome.com/pioneer.htm#
StreetLegal
#22 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 5:22:06 AM

We forgive you, Steve...we''ll give you all the chances you need to get it right! :)

I always wondered how a specific voltage was derived from a battery...know I know. So in theory, you could build any voltage as long as it was in multiples of 2 volts?

If a person wanted to make his own batteries, it seems old car batteries would be a waste of time and effort, especially with the guv wanting to be so involved. I would think lead, depending on the pruity needed, would be easily purchased.

A substantial case for the battery would be the biggest problem...and that''s not a problem, I just haven''t given it enough thought yet! :)
jdcox
#23 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 5:25:52 AM

Once again I am impressed with the depth of knowledge......................now...........doesn''t anyone want to know how to take out their own appendix?
majere
#24 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 1:45:37 PM

Street,

History wise, yes. multiples of 2v cells. But 2v are only obtainable with ''pure'' acids. However, there are now 3v cells, but much too pricey, not really ''breaking'' into the market. Problem is that they are a modified ''glass mat'' technology, and cannot take ''slug'' recharging, like a lead acid can. They are designed to be recharged chemically or with a low trickle at 1v per cell. These are often called, derisively, ''alkaselter'' batteries, for one drops the tablets into them to recharge, and the bubbling floats up any contaminations. They are really designed for emergency needs, where they would be dry stored, filled, pilled, and put into service.

Lead purchasement is not as easy as thee might imagine. Artificially inflated prices, and there are some governmental controls. Landfill problems. But that is compensated for by the mandated buy-back programs.

As to cases, well, ceramic is best. But when I did it, I still gutta-percha lined. To my thinking I preferred the ''white'' or ''chinet'' ceramic, I could see electrolyte level through them, and not have to ''crack case''. But I am told I am ignorant in that area, that others are better.

On that note, the oldest battery on record is from 250bc to 250ad, housed in the Iraq Museum. Ceramic. A lead/iron/copper with bitumen (asphalt) for sealage. It used vinegar. Tests produced a half volt for eighteen days. How do I know this? I was there.

Hermit,

I have enough, err..., malfunctioning parts. I will keep what I''ve got to be ''all origional''. (grin) So I will pass on the appendix offer. Actually, I might be able to show thee some ''tricks'' in that. Was a EMT-W before the diabetes hit.

Steve,

Researchers always make mistakes. Part of the game. Hech, thee has seen me pull a ''doh!'' in these forums a few times. relax.

Majere
skruzich
#25 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 2:26:14 PM

Hi, yes the mulitples of 2v work best for now. I am looking at some tesla based power generators, not sure if they will work, in theory they will. One is based on the earths electrical field,(magnetic) in which by using magnets one can build a generator that will turn itself, and once it achieves a certain rpm so to speak for a certain period of time, it will produce a surplus of electricity. It is called the N machine.
If i had the resources for the stuff to build it i would try it out.

AS far as researching, my mistake was trying to dig it out of my head. I used to do that stuff all the time, and after many years of not using it, it got buried under all the other stuff i have had to learn. I think i might need a index in my head ;) Hehe
steve
StreetLegal
#26 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 4:12:41 PM

Majere,

Thanks for the info. www.marsmetal.com They sell lead in any quantity or form. Website did not give prices, so you are probably right about the cost. However, the large batteries I''ve looked at for an off-grid system are waaayy expensive.
jdcox
#27 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 4:52:22 PM

Skuz - I can''t help with an index but I could likely transplant an appendix?
Tenngarden
#28 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2003 7:53:18 PM

Guys, here''s a site that sells lead foil, might be useful or not.
http://www.lmine.com/minesupply/m68.htm
Nother one: http://www.atnuke.com Sells sheets and foil, even have the hard-to-find lead-lined underwear! (chuckle)
skruzich
#29 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2003 12:35:26 AM

hmmm Jd, it would appear you are somewhat eager to practice your apendectomy skills ;)
hehe
steve
jdcox
#30 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2003 4:33:07 AM

Yeah, you''re right. I better refocus on solar power. I bleed enough as it is.
skruzich
#31 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2003 2:02:03 PM

Yeah i would imagine, you probably left quite a bit up in that saltwater swim you had a while back. ;P
jdcox
#32 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2003 7:57:50 PM

Yeah, I left some blood and entrails up there alright. Tragically, I leave some every time I go. I bled like a stuck pig for a few minutes last time but the water was so cold (51 degrees) that it helped stanch the flow. Next time you incur a headwound, stick it in the fridge.
If I re-read some of the last posts, I seem to verge on ghoulish. I am not. Just inclined to hurt myself (plus I learned the appendectomy thing for when we were doing some long distance sailing). Sad, really. But I don''t think it can be helped. I am building remote on a moss-covered slope and using really viscious power tools and other sharp implements of destruction (it should be called ''construction, but I am not always effective - things sometimes fall down a few times before I can get them to saty up). The odds of getting hurt are high. Save yourself, don''t visit until it is done.
With regard to the PV stuff, I have a better solution. I am building a ''power shed'' that has a shorter height than the cabin roof. So, when I fall (and I will), I won''t fall as far. Trust me, on a severly sloping site, even falling from a low shed on the ''high side'' is quite a tumble (I figure to fall 14'' to the granite and then ''tumble'' for another ten or so before coming to a slumping, bleeding, dirt encrusted halt. And THAT is the safe way)
andydufresne
#33 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2003 8:30:23 PM

Steve:

There was a fellow out of FLA on the Sawanee River that was offering a million dollars to anyone that could come up with an operating "N-Machine". That was 15 years ago or so when talk radio had many folks like Art Bell. Now talk radio seems to be tring to duplicate Rush Limbaugh.

I alwasy wonder what happened to that fellow but I figured that if a million was not enough to inspire someone to make an operation N-Machine then it is either very difficult or too espensive to be done by your basic back room inventor.

Keep us posted on what you find with it.
jdcox
#34 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 1:47:05 AM

OK, Andy, what''s an ''N'' machine, conceptually speaking?
skruzich
#35 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 2:03:20 AM

Jd here is a excellent summary of what a n machine is.

http://www.mufor.org/nmachine.html
andydufresne
#36 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 3:03:54 AM

YEP that''s it....FOR THE PEOPLE....I forget the radios host''s name. Haven''t heard him in so long. I simply don''t beleive that the "government" would confiscate if he turns it on is a legitimate excuse for not using it. SOMEONE SOMEWHERE would be willing to back him if he could prove it would work. There would be too much money to be made in selling them, installing and repairing them.
andydufresne
#37 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 3:22:16 AM

OK...here it is.... www.forthepeople.org Chuck Harder is the guy''s name. I didn''t know he was still on the air. He''s broadcasting a LOT on SW now it seems. He has some good thoughts and also some far out things as well.
skruzich
#38 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2003 2:03:45 PM

Hey Art Bell is coming back on the radio i think every weekend now, his health had gotten so bad he had to quit for a year, but now he''s taking on the weekend on coast to coast. Love listening to him hehe.
jdcox
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2003 5:28:21 AM

Canucks don''t know from "Harder'' and ''Bell''.......who are they?
Back to the PV system....I took a bunch of ''found'' equipment from garage sales and junk yards to an equipment place and tried to trade for a winch I wanted for the funicular. Good guys. I gave them 700 lbs of ''stuff'' and said, "Whatever......make me a funicular winch and I''ll give you all this stuff and if I have to add $, I will. Just let me know. Be fair. I''ll go along with it."
So they had my stuff (7 electric motors with gear drives and a Tulsa winch - used) and I waited. I went over to see them the other day............this 35- years-in-one-spot company............and I met the ''receiver''. They were bankrupt. "We''re just plain liquidating all this to pay off the creditors. If you have stuff here, you''ve lost it!"
At first, I was a bit annoyed but they were good guys and I simply didn''t believe that I had been ''screwed'' on purpose or by circumstance........so, I said, "is there anything I can do? (These were good guys, I thought. So I acted on it). I''ll help if I can." To which the receiver said, "No. Go away. If there is an answer, I''ll call you." I went away thinking that I am naive. I went away thinking that I was lucky that I had paid little but time and a few bucks. I went away thinking about the ''good guys'' and how I trusted my judgment. And I wondered if I was right........?
Today the receiver called and said "we have made up a big winch system for you. 5 Hp motor and a perfect transmission and spool. Come and get it. No charge! You lost your stuff. This stuff is better. We''ll call it even."
I am either the luckiest guy in the world or the world is not so bad a place. Either way, I am pleased.............and I am still willing to help out the ''good guys AND the receiver!
"Why tell us?" Well, because this ''stuff'' is part of my ''system'' up the coast and ''good news'' stories need to be shared ot else we all get cynical.
This was and is good news for me - I hope the ''good guys'' do OK, too.
andydufresne
#40 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2003 7:08:35 AM

You are correct. Thanks for sharing.