Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Any ideas for a natural dehumidifier? Options
majere
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 03, 2003 10:41:34 PM

Silica gel. There are various types. Ever seen the dessicant packs in various products? The ones that said ''do not eat''? Same stuff. What we did in the Librum was salvage all we could get from an electronics firm, make sure they were the white or yellow beads, repackage in linen drawstring bags, and put in the cases to preserve some of our older works. The beads do work very well, a half cup would keep the 4''x2''x3'' raw (pallet)(unsealed) wood cases nicely. But drying in the sun is not that effective. A low heat oven is the answer to that. A monthly chore until we got the cases sealed. Now, about every year.

I have also seen, but not used the commercial ''cans''. Search for ''dessicant'' on the www.

Another benefit to the bead type is that one can take any essential oil, put a few drops in, and it would be effective. We use rosemary for anti-insect, but the ''camphor'' smell is not that pleasant.

And the bead types don''t drip at saturation, they simply stop absorbing.

If thee has to buy, then look for the ''color change'' beads. Normally white, but yellow if hydrated.

Hope it helps.

Majere.

jinxd
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2003 2:20:48 PM

Grizz,I hit the health forum and replyed so now I find you here my reply is www.damprid.com look at health for rest
GrizzRich
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2003 2:20:48 PM

I posted this originally in the "health" section.
I'm hoping that changing forums might help with more answers.

Posted - 2003 Aug 12 : 06:03:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember someone telling me about a natural dehumidier that he hung in his basement to help keep the moisture down.
It was a cloth bag of a fairly benign chemical. It was hung in his basement with a small pail below it to catch any moisture that dripped from it once it had reached it's adsorption limit. Then, once saturated, he'd lay it out in the sun for several hours to dry it out and "recharge" it.
Any ideas what this stuff is? Is it fairly easily obtained and can I make my own with a burlap or cheesecloth sack?
Many thanks!