Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

All my corn is gone Options
aris
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 6:37:43 PM

That sounds really frustrating, Mike, you have my sympathy. Can you plant anything else this year, or try again with the corn, maybe make cat-scarecrows?
skruzich
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 7:56:38 PM

Hmmmm are you sure its crows, crows would leave foot prints.
mikeg
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:18:36 PM

I tilled it up nicely just before I planted and 2 days later it rained and crusted over some and I think it would keep a crow from leaving tracks. I saw turkey tracks so I know it wasn''t them. June 15 around here is the drop dead date for planting corn this was going to to be late as is so this year is over. I have a small kitchen garden at the full time residence so all is not lost. Think I will give up on the big garden till I move there full time, work on getting my perennials established and keep building the soil, may be another year or so they will put me out to pasture so to speak.
skruzich
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 12:28:58 AM

Hmm did you consider rabbits, They may be light enough not to leave tracks.
I just have never seen or even thought a crow would eat the plant.
hmmm I will ask around here and see what they say.
steve
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 4:21:51 AM

You have my sympathy as well. Until this year, I''d never tried to grow a garden...I guess I always knew it was a lot of hard work!

When I was 16, we "lent" 2 acres to a family we knew so they could grow a garden. It (the garden) was perfect...straight rows, evenly spaced, weed-free, hundreds of tomato plants, every vege you could imagine...all about 8 inches tall or more, pretty as a picture!

I was standing and looking out the back door of the shop building one afternoon when a hail storm came through and totally shredded that garden...nothing survived but the memory.

Yesterday, in our "garden", we noticed a jalapeno plant that was about 10 inches tall had a pepper on it. My wife was looking at it when it (the pepper) fell off. She handed it to me, and so I ate it (most of it).

I had heartburn all night long! :)
mikeg
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 4:21:51 AM

I had 24 90' rows of silver queen sweet corn that was planted three weeks ago all gone. All I have are small holes in the ground at the location where each seed was planted. I guess it was pulled up by crows, there are no foot prints and the garden has a 6' fence all around with electric top and bottom. I am just a little fustrated, three years ago it was deer so I put up the fence, two years ago the coons got it a week before it was ready so I put up the electric and last year it just dried out on me and didn't make any thing worth eating. Now this, I guess I'll have to pitch a tent and live in the garden in order to get any corn.