Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
I need to know how to scare Raccoons Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 2:37:39 AM

Uhhhhmmmm nope they get into the trash too. They are smart enough to circumvent anything you can come up with. Now if you were to fence in the outside of the cabin, you could get a coon dog and he would run them off after a while. But they even get brave with my coondog, and sit on the fence above his head and tease him. I am going to ROTFLMAO when he gets ahold of one of those teasing coons.
Realistically, other than shooting them or having two or three coon dogs around all the time, your not going to deter them. They have even been known to manipulate locking mechanisms to get into trash cans.
TTYL
steve
PS if you go the route of shooting them, just make sure to get your permits. The DNR will nail you on that if you don''t have a small game license.
steve
StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:01:41 AM

Steve,

Would being sprayed with water drive the coons off the roof? I was thinking an impact-type lawn sprinkler that would shoot a stream of water 8 inches or so above the roof and parallel to it. It could be controled easily by a downstairs faucet.

Even dogs that love water don''t necessarily like being sprayed with a hose...just a thought, since I have little experience with coons.

Or maybe eliminate their means of access to the roof...but I bet you''ve already thought of that. :)

It''s 3 AM and I''m drinking some Crown and Coke (way-more Crown than Coke)...like you, trying to get "ready for bed". Please...no phone calls before 9 AM...Thanks :)
skruzich
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:17:31 PM

Uhhmmm since raccons spend a major portion of their life in water i don''t think it would work. The problem is that they are overcrowded if they are coming around humans. I would also not want them around as they might be rabid. There is something wrong with them if they have no fear of humans.

And they smell you even though your inside!
Have yall called animal control or DNR to find out what you can do? They would know better about what you can do.
steve
DanR
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:37:46 PM

I have to agree with Steve. With the reductions in the number of states that allow for traping of "coons" there has been a marked increase in the number of cases of Rabies. Contact the DNR and find out about live trapping them for relocation. The last thing you want is to have to undergo treatment for rabies, even if it is the new and improved treatment.
skruzich
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2003 9:38:14 PM

I hear ya danr. Yeah, if DNR is no help, try finding a local hunter out there that hunts coons and let him go after them. In the very least, his dogs will run them off.
steve
mikeg
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:20:14 PM

You might try hot water in the sprinkler if you have it. I think the water would work at geting them off the roof. It won''t get rid of them and they will come back but given a choice of eating on a wet roof or a dry limb I think they will go for the limb.
michaels
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:37:07 PM

Majere''s pet bobcat keeps the coons at bay.

Michael.
aris
#8 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 12:55:50 AM

We have problems with raccoons over here. Rotting tomatoes give off a gas they can''t stand. A couple of quarters of maters scattered about, and they stay out of my neighbor''s backyard (and mine when I lived in the hills).
cvadala
#9 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 3:10:36 AM

Rotten tomatoes, hmm, think I''ll try that one just to give it a shot. I also saw something on a website somewhere about a spray to keep them away. Somehow, though, I have a sinking feeling more drastic measures are in order, as per everyone''s post. Also, I used to have a strip of woods near where I used to live, and these huge raccoons would come up and raid the garbage at night. They literally chewed and clawed their way right through the thick locking plastic caps to get at the stuff. Couldn''t scare ''em off with light or noise either, they would just sit there and watch you while they ate garbage. Never did get rid of them at that address. Really hate to shoot at them, though, I''m such a softy, but they make such a racket at night. OK, thanks for all the help, if anyone has any other ideas, I''ll welcome them.
cvadala
#10 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 3:21:38 AM

I just checked the New York DEC website, this is what it said about raccoons:

6. Raccoons, coyotes or fox injuring private property may be taken by the owner, occupant or lessee thereof, or an employee or family member of such owner, occupant or lessee, at any time in any manner.
8. No license or permit from the department is required for any taking authorized by this section.

I''m also wondering if I trap them and release them on state land (about 1 mile away), could they possibly find their way back, or would I have to go further than that.

jdcox
#11 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 5:23:21 AM

Cougar urine. It works. Just try to get some! We used granulated chlorine bleach. That worked, too. But all the experts say: "Go collect cougar urine (or, as my wife suggests: buy it at the garden store!")
DanR
#12 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 1:35:54 PM

As the range of a coon is greater than one mile, I would suggest that you move them at least twenty. Take a photo of the ones you move and if they come back, then put them in the stew pot. They havent come into my yard yet, but my neighbor does feed them. What are some people thinking?!
skruzich
#13 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 2:09:59 PM

Just be careful handling raccons. If you trap any, make double sure that you do NOT get scratched or Bitten!!! Yes you can get the rabies from a scratch! and they do have sharp claws.

I am afraid though you won''t trap them, they are a pretty smart critter.
Thats why most hunters use a dog to hunt them.
As i said before, there is definatly something wrong with a coon if it is NOT afraid of humans. And there is more wrong with those idiots that feed a coon.
jdcox
#14 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 5:37:51 PM

And therein lies the secret. There are several humane ways to keep Raccoons at bay but far and away the best way is sprinkle Cougar urine around the building. I know, Steve, you are laughing...."How does anyone collect Cougar urine?" Right? I have no idea how they do it but it is commercially available. Some poor, ''torn-to''shreds'' low income worker has to get it, I guess but some companies definitely sell it. Or maybe it is a synthsized version. But that''s one way. The way we did it was sprinkling chlorine powder around. Raccons hate the Chlorine powder. We simply put a crushed tablet on one out-building roof and that was that.
I have a pool. One night the raccoons were going nuts. Having a real party. There were eight of them. Middle of the suburbs, too! So, naked, I opened the back door and yelled. "shoo!" They just looked at me and continued to frolick around. So, I went out past the back door - still starkers - and approached them all menacingly. "Hey!! Get out of here!!" They stopped playing around and looked at me. Cold little beady eyes. So I jumped up and down and waved my arms and strode closer towards them. I continued to yell and even threw a few pool toys at them. No movement. Just more staring. This time, it felt like they were honing in on my privates. I realized that my aggressive action had taken me from the sanctity of my back porch to the mid way point between them and safety. There I was stunning in my nakedness with all my appendages revealed and all they did was focus in on my genitals. And they did not retreat an inch. So we stared at one another for a second and then I beat a hasty retreat back to my house. Went upstairs to bed and they continued partying. Raccoons in a pack are not afraid of very much. Or else I am a lot more attractive naked than I was ever led to believe by anyone initimate enough to judge.
skruzich
#15 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2003 10:39:10 PM

ROTFLMAO

Wolfie
#16 Posted : Saturday, August 02, 2003 4:12:25 PM

Feeling a little dense here, but what does ROTFLMAO stand for?
Enjoyed all the coon stories.
skruzich
#17 Posted : Saturday, August 02, 2003 5:37:56 PM

Rolling on the floor laughing my A** off ;)
rancid
#18 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 12:00:27 AM

Hello,If you thought there was a tree branch close enough to make noise,than that''s what the coon are gettin on your roof with.Wrap the trees closest to your building with tin,far enough up so they can''t jump past it.Or remove the overhanging branches.
Also you might wanna try an electric fence with the first wire 5 inches off the ground,and another at 12 inches.If you don''t have electricity they do make fencers that are battery powered.good luck Rancid.
cvadala
#19 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 3:45:20 AM

Before I go on, let me just say thank you to all who have taken the time to post and help out, it really is much appreciated and hope to return here soon with a "raccoon rousting" success story.
I neglected to add one small detail, and that is to say that there happens to be a live tree built right into the front porch. So I have no doubt that''s how they''re finding their way to the roof.
Here''s another true story I have concerning raccoons, and it is the main reason why I am sorta spooked about the fact that they''re haunting me yet again.
My daughter and I moved to our present address approximately 12 years ago; she was 9 at the time. The part of the roof over the kitchen is flat, and my daughter''s bedroom faces this roof. My neighbor (busybody of course) happened to mentioned that from her bedroom window she could see a family of raccoons (1 large and 2 small) nightly crawl across my roof and find their way into the chimney. I knew they could be nuisance animals, but didn''t think they were potentially harmful, and it slipped to the bottom of a long list of "things to do". My daughter had her bed pushed against the window that faced the roof and slept with just the screen down (summertime). At this point in time she was a very deep sleeper and was difficult to wake. One night, I heard her peacefully snoring away as usual, when suddenly she shrieked and bolted out of her bedroom into my room. When she finally quit sobbing and calmed down, she said she woke and saw the raccoon had it''s face right against the screen and was growling at her like a dog! She wouldn''t sleep in the room for two days, and I had to move the bed against the other window. After about a week, there was no sign of the mother, but we could see one of the babies wandering around by itself, during the day no less. After awhile, it too disappeared. Best guess was the mother was protecting her family, however if it was bold and aggressive enough to growl through a screen at a snoring human, I have no doubt there''s a real potential for it to actually attack.
I know what some of you are saying now, after being through that, how can I feel bad about destroying them? Eh, I''m human with a conscience I guess, maybe foolishly so. There, I said it!
rancid
#20 Posted : Monday, August 04, 2003 4:05:26 AM

Call your local DNR office and find a trappers name in your area.I''m sure they''ll be glad to help you out.I trap coon all the time and they are''nt hard to catch at all.Curious about everything and always hungry,that''s thier downfall.Have live traps used if ya need to.But I''m sure someone will help you out.If you want to e-mail me I''ll be glad to help you find someone in your area. rancid@cybrzn.com