Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

safe use of tank water Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2003 10:02:28 AM

Chlorine smells are caused by not enough chlorine.

What you can smell are chloramines. These are formed when insufficient levels of available chlorine react with ammonia or other nitrogen-containing compounds and only partially break them down (creating nitrogen chlorides).

You could shock the tank. Get a chlorine tab from a pool/hot tub supply and put it in the tank, let it sit for 12 hr. then drain, flush, and refill.

You could then control the algea with small amounts of additional chlorine.

Is it a white plastic tank? Cover it with a tarp, if the algae doesn''t get any sun it won''t grow. (You should do this no matter what)

There is really very little chance of any health risk from this, though I would still clean the tank.
jinxd
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 11:41:25 PM

Thanks ,We do have the tank wrapped,because it is a white plastic tank.and also because it tends to freeze up around the edge ,if a round tank could have an edge,in the winter .it is in a porch and has a heat lamp on the output pipe in winter.But seriously,It is safe? Even to Drink? The people who live in the town drink this water I will not. thanks again jinxd
dropkick
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 9:46:33 AM

Almost everyone drinks water that comes from a supply has algea growing in it. Very few types of algea create harmful byproducts, and normally the worst damage most types cause is to affect the taste or smell of the water.

I wouldn''t be very worried about what you have, as it comes from a city water supply and they are required by the feds to have the water tested periodically.

Though just to be sure, I would check the cover and make sure no light is getting through it, as the algea won''t grow without light, and if you block it, the algae that is growing now will die.

andydufresne
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 2:12:34 PM

HOW are you getting the water into the tank? Are you hauling the tank to the water or bringing it out some other way? THAT could be tthe source of trouble.
mikeg
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2003 8:04:49 PM

Was the tank you bought new or used another possibility if it was used?
jinxd
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2003 12:48:59 AM

1st yes Mike the tanks both the 100 gallon we haul from the water tower to home and the one we pump it into were new and Andy the 100 gallon tank is taken off the back of the truck and placed next to the shed when not in use,no cover .So many reasons now appear to be adding to the root of the algae problem Thanks you guys,I knew I brought this problem to the right forum,I will now use my new found knowledge to accept and adjust.
andydufresne
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2003 1:52:27 AM

OK that helps....it COULD be that the hose you are filling the hundred gallon tank with is contributing to the problem. COULD be in the pump you pump it out of one and into the other with. YOu might consider filtering the water BEFORE it goes into the large tank.

ALSO even though it is CITY WATER you might consider treating it to knock out the algae.

I think FIRST OF ALL though you will need to drain both tanks and clean out. I would use some bleach.

Good luck.
skruzich
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2003 2:58:53 AM

You have to realize too that about 48 hours after you put the water into the tank, the chlorine will be gone. It will evaporate.
I am allergic to chlorine, can''t even take a shower in it. I became hypersensitive to it since i have been on well water. Another thing i have found, I used to suffer from confusion over simple things. It was just like i had a foggy feeling in my head. About a month after being on well water, it went away and hasn''t returned UNLESS i drink city water. Found out that Flouride will cause this. It is toxic to our health, but the government has this strange idea that it is going to cure all dental problems. The truth be known, flouride won''t do squat for our teeth except when it comes in contact with our teeth directly. It has no effect on our teeth any other way, only toxic effects to our bodies. So much for Govt regulations on health.
jinxd
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2003 2:58:53 AM

We lost our well,a while back. So we bought a 450 gallon water storage tank and fill it with water from the water tower in town. my problem is The water is turning UCKY LOOKING[xx(] Brown possibly dirt in the bottom of the tank and now some brown scum floating on the top.WE DO NOT drink this water, we get bottled water. Is there a way to keep this water CLEANER? I can smell chlorine in the water , This water tower supplies a town of 200 or so . We do bathe and cook with it and it's really starting to freak me out .A new well is at least 2 years away ,So I really need some help....Anyone????????