Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Longer laying hens? Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 04, 2004 1:23:31 AM

what are ya feeding them? If they don''t lay then the only thing to do now is to freeze them. Kinda expensive to feed them with nothing in return these days.
ajortolani
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 04, 2004 2:34:38 PM

Hi Solborn, I believe that hens will stop laying (or lay infrequently) during the winter due to the cold & lack of daylight. Could be wrong but have heard that a number of times, so see how they do through this coming summer as you may not have to eat them yet. There are lots of links re chickens & layers etc in this forum, if you notice there are two forums one is for discussion & the other is links, try those as you will find tons of info.
mikeg
#3 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 2:03:46 PM

If you have a light in the chicken house put a timer on it to give them a couple of hours of additional light this time of year. Shortages of water will cause them to reduce there laying. I don''t know if chickens molt this time of year but they stop laying during this period as well, when the feathers grow back and they start laying again the production will be slightly reduced. If the additional light doesn''t work and they have had plenty of water and you haven''t noticed them loosing there fethers I''d say chicken soup.
solborn
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2004 7:35:58 PM

Thanks for the help. I just ordered a new group of chicks. I''m trying Buff Orpingtons this time. The breed I have now is called Isa Brown. I guess it''s just time to play taps.
skruzich
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2004 8:00:23 PM

Why not take whatever eggs they lay and let them raise your replacement chicks.
mckenzy_girl
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 06, 2004 8:57:59 PM

Oooohhh Buff Oroingtons are great! I always have raised them and they are the best mothers, layers, and taste great!
You made a wise choice, in my opinion, to go with buff orpingtons!
I have 50 buffs, and I''m thinking i may have to get more![:)]
homegrowntomatoes
#7 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2004 2:17:07 AM

Our brown leghorn is a pretty dependable layer, and until recently when she started molting, she always laid an egg a day. I''ve found that even while she is molting, she is still laying, though not as frequently... it''s about every other days or sometimes she skips two days. What kind of chickens do you have? I don''t recommend Aracaunas. They are gorgeous birds and fun to watch... pretty much fearless. I''ve seen them whip our cat. BUT they aren''t dependable layers at all and they eat tons. Our leghorn is also better if we give her extra greens in her diet. She won''t stay out of the garden, so now I am bringing stuff to her pen. When the spinach started bolting last week, I gave her quite a bit of it and she loved it. And she started laying every day again, even though she was in a molt. I second what Mckenzy girl says about buffs... our only one died, but they are really neat birds, and they are good layers, too. We are trying two new chickens this year, but I don''t remember what they are... it was luck of the draw. Their names are Betty and Blondie. I think Blondie may be a silkie, but not sure. They are both brown-egg layers. Maybe the other is a New Hampshire? I can''t remember.
solborn
#8 Posted : Friday, May 07, 2004 2:17:07 AM

I have a small backyard flock (yes its illegal, so arrest me) and after three years, the girls stopped laying. Does anyone know of a breed that will lay for more years. I don't want to eat my girls now.