Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Living in a Camper Options
hunter63
#1 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2003 2:22:05 AM

I know of plenty set up like your thinking, be aware that the plumbing (holding tanks, water lines) may nead to be rerouted to drain directly if freezing will be a problem. Water supply lines also. Not very enegry efficent, not made to live in all the time. If switching to Nat Gas from propane (most campers set up for propane), orifaces need to be changed, gas valves etc. on furnace, hot water heater. Not well insulated, furnace will run alot.How about electric, septic, water, and zoning?
Nice units, but made to pull into a campground.
I use mine (old one) to stay in at the "Place" for weeks on end and had to deal with the above issues until I build. of cource the issues are the same when you build so i''ll be that much further ahead when the time comes.
P.S. If it''s too nice the "temportary" becomes "Permanent"
Good luck

DanR
#2 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2003 1:37:14 PM

I know a lot of people who live in them year round. They like the "no hassel" lifestyle. By that they mean no yard work. Most live in campgrounds and pay from $100.00 to $500.00 a month. As a starter home for your homestead, It will work. Just do not attempt to live in it very long without starting to build a larger home. It you put that off, you are dead and will leave the homestead very soon. As has been mentioned on the other forum, cabin feaver can be a problem. It was for me in an 8x35 foot travel trailer. The narrow size was the problem.
smaler
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2003 4:35:07 AM

Thanks for the info.

I am discovering very rapidly that I have more to think about and plan for. Switching to Natural Gas is an idea I didnt consider.

Thanks again.
homegrowntomatoes
#4 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2003 8:11:24 PM

My aunt and uncle and their three kids lived in a tent trailer for three years (except during the dead of winter) while they built their home. I am not talking about a big camper, either. It slept 6 maximum, and was really tight on space. It was pretty much worn out by the time they got their house to the liveable stage! As soon as they could, they moved into the upstairs of the house and just cooked in the tent trailer until they got the kitchen finished. It was tough, but they managed alright. But we have really mild weather for three out of four seasons, and a short winter, when they stayed with relatives.
bryanold
#5 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2003 1:45:14 AM

My dad and stepmother lived for about a year in a small motor home in a friends barn yard in michigan''s upper peninsula while they looked for a house. Its plenty cold in those parts in the winter. Below zero wheather is not unusual. They kept the camper somewhat warmer by blocking most of the windows with styrofoam panels and they put straw bales all around the camper as a type of skirting. Packed snow around the bales too. They also had a large propane tank brought in because the camper furnace used so much propane. That camper never did get really warm inside, but they got by until spring.
bushwack
#6 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2003 5:56:16 AM

This may sound stupid but what about an 90% covering of hay or straw bales. All the way up the outside walls and on the roof of the camper with maybe a heavy tarpaulin on top to make snow removal easier, some snow will insulate but to much will be to heavy! Staying away from vents, furnace stacks etc... and maybe a window or two. We wouldn''t want you to suffer from light depravation. Or suffocation, let there be a draft or two of FRESH OXYGEN.

http://www.toolsforwellness.com/airwaterlight.html
Homebody
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 8:47:10 PM

When we bought this land we lived in a 21 foot older motorhome for about a year. If you have to go somewhere to dump your holding tank or fill water you need to be able to pack up fairly easily and drive off. We use to make dump the holding tank fill the water tank and big shower day at the same time. We were lucky we had access to the needed facitilies about 5 miles away.
Then depending on your climate there is the cold to deal with. I bought a big comforter at a thrift store and made window blankets that we hung over the windows, I made loops on the tops and used cup hooks in the wall to hang them this helped a lot with the heating. We had a catalitic heater and I really liked that. I also picked up odds and sods of carpeting and put a few layers all over the floor and existing carpet. You need this if you have to deal with mud. We had three dogs and they soon got use to a foot bath on their way back in during muddy weather. In fact they all learned to walk around as much mud as possible to avoid the line up going in at the foot bath station. :)
Then there is the problem of condensation. Your walls will need a lot of wiping down as well as ceilings and windows. Odd chores like that appear. As we had a well dug then the septic system installed life became easier. One thing if you start out small you really enjoy the addition of each convenience as it is added.
Enjoy.
Galeshka
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2003 9:14:18 PM

Welcome Garnet, looks like you have a good start on the life you want. Look forward to hearing/seeing more from you.

Be well.......
Homebody
#9 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2003 3:18:36 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome Galeshka
smaler
#10 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2003 3:18:36 AM

Hello everyone,

Is anyone or does anyone know of anyone living out of a camper? I am considering buying a 4 season pull behind camper and parking it on a piece of property. The problem is that I dont know all the problems if any and I dont know how hard it would be. The camper has 3 slideouts and a lot of room considering its a camper.