Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Peanuts, Sunflower, Kale and Flax Options
Apemanevo
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 3:59:30 AM

I live in SE Michigan...peanuts are going to be a challenge in zone 4b/5. If you are planning on growing flax to get flax seed oil, it is probably not feasible on a garden scale. You would need to grow a lot of flax and need a way to extract the oil. Kale will grow like gang busters here, I have grown many kinds with great success. Same for sunflowers. If you have any specific questions, post back and I will do my best to answer them.

BTW...knowing a year in advance that you are planning a garden is a great way to start. Taking a year to build soil etc. will pay off big time in the long run, as opposed to trying to build fertility as you go.
lnlyguy27
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 11:01:48 PM

Yeah, knowing ahead of time turned out to be a good thing. It''ll be my first garden so I have alot to learn, and alot of work to do beforehand. It wasn''t really a choice though. I moved from SE Michigan (Westland) to Traverse City in September of last year. Just in time to find no jobs available, and the ones that are won''t hire me because I used to make alot of money......go figure.....guess they dont hire smart people. So, having no money put the garden on hold.

Actually I want to grow flax just for the seed, I buzz it up in a coffee grinder and dump it in the morning smoothie when I can afford it. I use about a quarter cup a day.....so I figure I want to grow 100+ cups a year.....but cant find out if it would be feasable in the space I have.

Sunflowers are basically the same, I eat the seed. Most sites I find about them talk about which to plant for pretty flowers, when I''m thinkin seed yield per plant, and how many plants I need.

Kale and peanuts I really just can''t find much about, guess they aint real popular.

The local garden stores are mostly tomatoes, peppers, strawberries.....normal garden stuff. When I asked about peanuts and flax I got a wierd look.

Right now I''m trying to decide how much I want to plant, then I can decide where....and start building soil, and install irrigation over the summer.
Heidi Hunt
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 9:38:07 PM

The Aug/Sept issue of Mother has an article on Kale. Mother
lnlyguy27
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2003 9:38:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm still in the research stage for my garden. I plan to get it going spring 2004. I have a few questions that I just can't seem to answer.

I can't find anything on flax in a garden, only commercial. Any help there would be great.

I can find some information on peanuts, sunflower and kale; mainly pertaining to general plant needs. While I will need to know this, I also need to know more.

I can't find recommended varieties for Zone 4b/5 or expected yeild per sq./? These will all be grown for food, so I'd like to get a good combination of yeild, flavor and nutrition.

I would think someone developed a decent method for removing the shells of sunflower seed and peanuts.......an apple peeler, cherry pitter type thing maybe....or the car tire walnut method? I can't imagine sitting down to shell fifty pounds of seed by hand.

Any help or links would be great.