Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Complementing or Companion animals Options
bushwack
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 04, 2003 5:09:39 PM

Nice of you to start this post, so that What to feed pigs. could resume its intended direction.

My tip does have to do with hogs but is not about multi species pairing.

If one has plans to raise A hog to put in the freezer. You should raise TWO or more.

As “your” pig competes for food it will consume more than if it was being raise alone. Thereby adding more weight sooner and more weight over all. { I have to say it} “”He will eat like a PIG”“!

We used to pre-sell the extra ones before or while raising them.

The other benefit is that the ‘second’ pig can pay for the butchering, wrapping and smoking of yours.

It will also make your friends or whom ever bought that pig very happy every time they sit down to a meal of Home Grown pork
StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 3:43:16 PM

Here''s some animal lore:

"It''s a sorry cowboy that''ll ride a sore-backed horse". :)
mikeg
#3 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 4:54:40 PM

I remember another one, some people that have lots of horses especially the expensive ones have at least one white one or one with a lot of white on it. Seems horses tend to shy and run away from white if they are not acustomed to it. For instance say you have 15 race horse mares in a pasture and a piece of news paper blows across the pasture, if they are used to seeing white (white horse) with them it doesn''t bother them but if there isn''t there is a risk of them bolting and running away from the paper getting into a fence or losing a foal.
Next time you are in race horse country check it out I was amazed last summer almost every large group of race horses had one white horse in the group.
Sheila
#4 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 5:21:07 PM

Our pig is a pet (a pot bellied pig), not destined for the freezer. He''s our only pig and the other animals don''t have access to his eating spot....and he STILL eats like a pig!! :)
patrick46135
#5 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2003 7:23:17 PM

Raising pigs in pairs goes for beef also. Cattle are a social animal and do better with a buddy.
homegrowntomatoes
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 6:33:19 AM

llamas are also good for protecting your sheep/goats. Don''t ever EVER feed a pig pickles, especially in hot weather. They don''t sweat, so the high salt content will kill them. My grandma learned this the hard way!
StreetLegal
#7 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 4:13:25 AM

The dairies around here burn night-lights (street lights) for their cattle...they say it helps the cattle see that there are no predators, and-so helps them stay calm, which increases milk production. The yellow-orange tinted lights seem to work best.

Makes sense to me.

I would think that any animal that is preyed upon, espescially at night, would benefit from night-lights of some sort. Reduction of stress in your animals can only help with weight gains, egg production, reproduction, etc.
mikeg
#8 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 4:13:25 AM

The what do pigs eat post kind of changed course on us and I thought it might stur some intrest to discuss a kind of companion planting with with animals so to speak. We talked about chickens with horses, cows, and rabbits to stir manure and eat grain to reduce rodent problems and larva to reduce insects.
I have heard that donkies in a sheep herd will protect them from coyote. A goat in a stall with a lone horse makes a good companion to relax them if you can only have one horse. A lone horse is not a happy animal.
Any other bits of animal lore, legends and common practice that you care to share will be intresting to hear. [:D]