Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
architects and builders Options
Greenknight
#21 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 12:53:21 AM

Have you thought about using a home design program? I like Homebuilder by Boulderbound but there are others. Get one in the cd, save you about ten bucks. I have one, it looks good, but it takes alot of memory. The better idea you have before you go to architect the better in my book. I go to a martial arts studio that recently built on. The owner had alot of trouble. Someone told me if they had a general contractor that they could avoid alot of problems. Now that''s a commerical building but still. To me it''s all about finding someone that''s good at what they do, and listening to them, because if you do that, then hopefully they well help you with the rest. What i would do is ask the building inspector who''s work they like. If you do alot of the work like painting and drywall, and cleaning up etc, of the small stuff and the general contractor takes care the foundation, electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning etc. But like I said, find people who are good at what they do. You may want to hire some people as consultants before the project.
Greenknight
#22 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 1:00:27 AM

also, a 750 sq feet building isn''t that much size so hopefully it wouldn''t cost to much to have people help.
Sheila
#23 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2003 1:00:27 AM

Anyone have any experiences to share about these folks? We've meet with some straw bale oriented folks. Their proposal is that for a flat fee, the architect will take my little sketch of a floor plan and turn it into workable plans, including the site plan, foundation plan, roof plan, and all the other stuff that the city requires to issue a permit. The fee would include any changes that we decide we need as the plans take shape, as well as any changes necessary for the permit people. Also it would include the engineering stamp that the city requires on alternative building projects. The builder's role would be to shepherd our plans through the permitting process and to act as a technical advisor to us as we build, should any questions arise. He could also arrange straw bale workshops on our property (free labor!) when it's time to raise the walls.

We've never built a home before. I'm thinking that this money would be well spent (I'm checking references and licenses now, and all looks good). The Mr., however, thinks we can figure out how to engineer all this stuff and draw the plans ourselves.

Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?