Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Water Storage Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2003 4:37:55 AM

The water turned green because light got to the water. Algae is a natural occourance in water. The light gives it the nourishment it needs to grow. The only way to stop it is to make sure that no light gets in. Rain water possibly contaminated the barrels. Remember that when it rains you get high sulpher dioxides in the water which is what we call acid rain. Not sure how you can clean the barrels.
If your not using it for drinking water you should be ok. I would do this though if your going to use it to store rainwater, instead of putting it high, why not set it down on the ground and use the roof surface to collect the water, run the water down a gutter and pipe to the storage barrels, but before that have one barrel half filled with charcole and sand to filter the rainwater. I think put a 2" layer of charcole on the bottom, 2" layer of sand alternating til you get half way up the barrel. then make a hole at the bottom, and insert a pipe in it to draw off the filtered water into another storage tank.
It would at least filter out alot of the sulper.
steve
hunter63
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:38:15 AM

Thanks, Steve, I suspected as much, the sunlight. This water is used for washing( propane camping shower)and it works ok except you need to fill a bucket, then its pumped thru a propane heater. Work ok buthave to keep filling. I thought about the gutters and such, i do have a place to fill my jugs near-by. ( been using jugs for storage, inside a shed, stays clear.
This is at my hunting trailerand i have seen large stock tanks up on a stand (10/12ft or so). I guess i should stop and talk to the owners on haw it works.
I use a bucket with sand and rock to filter the ( graywater)(Small sink)
Was thinking of using a 2-1/2 ga electric water, but no pressure to push it thru. I do have elec. so maybe i can find a "camper" pump or some thing.
I will think about the filter and rain "barrels.
Thanks again
johnhagen
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2003 12:07:49 PM

If you have electric you got it made just go to your farm supply store and pick up a roller pump and hook it to a electric motor 1/2 horse will do.These are for tranfering water at about 12 to 15 gal per min. so will work fine i think.We used one to pump out our cistern.The roller pump hooks on to the motor with a love joy coupling.
hunter63
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2003 2:52:15 AM

Well folks, the barrel is in a "box", with a tilt up roof, and a propane "Zodi" Hot Tap heater. Has a 6 volt sump pump that fits into the 55 gal drum bung hole, the other bung has a 2" pvc return (once you light this thing it has to keep pumping)
So far it work great, but the battery thing need some work ( 6 volt inverter?) Will let you know how the "box" works for keeping the water clear.
It''s mounted close to the edge of the roof, so a gutter system is in the future.
skruzich
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2003 3:37:13 AM

Good deal!
steve
hunter63
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2003 3:37:13 AM

Has anyone tried storing water in a plastic "oblique" 55 gal drum, was thinking of mounting it up high to act as a storage "cistern". I located a couple, but before i used them, i let them sit and some rain water got in and the water turned green. Problem with U.V. growing something?