Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Is Tennessee a good place to homestead? Options
skruzich
#1 Posted : Monday, May 05, 2003 5:20:13 PM

Hi springtime,
Murphreesboro is getting to be a suburb of Nashville. It has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years. There are some rural areas around there but they are more than likely going to be turned into yuppie communities in the next few years. You can look around but i think that you would be better to go east of nashville down 40 for a bit to find areas that aren''t as populated. Or Go further south towards monteagle tn, to find more rural areas. One thing you will find is that they tax everything in tennessee. They don''t have a state income tax, but they have a 10% sales tax, advelorum tax on your vechile and a wheel tax on your vehicle as well as one heck of a high fuel tax. The groceries are taxed, and i am not sure about medicine. One other idea i have is kentucky is only about 45 miles from nashville if that is where you will be working, I would consider moving into kentucky area as land is cheaper, more rural, more of what you may be looking for. I have lived in tennessee and I would not move back there due to the current taxation that is going on in the state as well as regulations that are being imposed on people. You see the state is bankrupt and they are trying to figure out how to get out of debt and the more money they come up with, the more they find to spend it on other than the debt. They are one of the few states that have tested socialized medicine with their tenncare program and it has taken them into bankruptcy. One other thing i have seen in tennessee is that they tax you on how much water you use, as well as how much water goes into your sewer system. Basically you get taxed twice on the water usage. Its one state that is becoming a very expensive state to live in.
Steve
Paul™
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 07, 2003 4:06:36 PM

If you were looking to find a position with UT in Knoxville, you might be better off looking at southern Kentucky or even western NC for a place to live. The cost of living is not as good in NC as it is in KY, but it''s still cheaper than TN any day.
kuntree
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2003 2:33:14 AM

I live in TN. And yah are making me wanting to leave....lol. No but seriously they are telling the truth about the taxes here are redicouless. If i had a chance to move somewhere else. I would probably move to southern KY. I heard that KY.is a great state to live.I have rode through there just looking around and there are plenty of beautifull site''s.(If you like the country look.)I really wanted to move up there after I seen an amish family riding. I really respect them and there way of living.So you may be more interested in KY. when you decide let us know how it is going. And welcome to the cite.I hope yah have fun here.
springtime
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2003 2:28:02 PM

Well, it looks like KY is the majority opinion :o) Thanks for the suggestions.....As of now it is early enough in the game that I can still look into KY or even the Carolinas. Of course in the end it may all depend on job offers, but you have given me a lot to think about.....I had naively not even considered taxes before.
Kuntree.....I must agree......when I was a little girl I didn''t think much about running away and joining the circus......I daydreamed instead of running away and joining an Amish settlement! And so far I''m having a wonderful time on this site....such a wealth of knowledge being shared.
Take care.
kuntree
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 24, 2003 6:46:18 AM

SPRINGTIME, GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW UPCOMING LIFESTYLE.WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING WE CAN SHARE WITH OUR NEW FRIEND''S. WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE AND EVEN OUR OWN MISTAKE''S..LOL.LEARN ALL YOU CAN AND PUT IT TO A GREAT HOMESTEAD.HAVE A GREAT ONE! ~SCOTTY~
FilthyK
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 5:16:32 PM

Yes, Kentucky is looking real good, especially to this West Pennsyltucky suburban redneck... [:D]

BTW, Berea, KY came up as one of my "spots" to live in. It would be a good town for you, springtime, because it''s a college town. Here''s a linkypoo... http://www.findyourspot....e=1&CityTrack=193&REID=8

justme
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:54:32 PM

i went to berea college for 2 years. i remember the area very fondly. the people were so friendly (not like here) and the mountains and the town were beautiful. when i get to a point when i can afford it, don''t be surprised to find me back there again. if i can just talk my better half into it.
springtime
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2003 9:54:32 PM

Greetings all!
I am new to this cite, but come from a long line of homesteaders and have enjoyed reading Mother Earth News. I am writing now because I will soon be at a new stage in my life and would like to get some feedback from like-minded people.
I am currently enrolled in graduate school at Indiana Unversity with a couple of years left toward my PhD in journalism. When I complete my degree, I will (hopefully) be moving to Tennessee to teach at a university. (My partner and I are not from Tennessee, but have chosen it as an ideal spot for a number of reasons). I want very much to be able to live a simple life there and would welcome any information about the availability of organic food, whether the atmosphere in Eastern Tennessee is friendly toward homesteading, etc. I am currently looking closely at Murfreesboro, but am still open to other areas. Thank you all and have a peace-filled day.
Springtime