Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

how to install fence through wet area Options
bushwack
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2003 4:55:31 AM

I think it might help if we knew what you were trying to fence in or keep out. What type of fence would you like to have? Do you have fencing to that point? How large is "that corner"? Is that corner always with water?

Those answers should help cut out a lot of Hit'' n'' Miss posts. No pun intended.
mikeg
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2003 10:55:03 PM

How large of an area is it and how many feet of fence will you need. Is there a way to raise the elevation some or drain the water off. If it is not to large an area you could push or drive a long post down and put in long t-posts in the line and not hang a lot of fence on them may be just a wire to show the line. Then go in and put your pull posts and brace posts at waters edge and then fence around the water.
cordwoodguy
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2003 11:01:07 PM

SARAY.........GET SOME METAL PIPE AT A SALVAGE YARD AND DRIVE THEM INTO THE WET AREA THEN ATTACH YOUR REGULAR FENCE TO IT.PLACE SOME MESH IN WATER IF YOU ARE TRYING TO KEEP SOME ANIMALS IN OR OUT.YOU CAN MAKE A CHEAP POST DRIVER BY ADDING A WEIGHT TO A LARGER DIAMETER POST WITH HANDLES.YOU LIFT AND DROP AND THE PIPE GOES DOWN.

CORDWOODGUY
Saray
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2003 2:58:19 AM

the wetness goes 40'' into and then out of the corner. The area is wet all the time the level just changes but averages about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I am going to be installing 4x4" woven fence. will be keeping goats and a cow or two.
StreetLegal
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2003 4:03:34 AM

Cows are easily trained to respect a hot wire...I would suspect goats are too, but I don''t know that for sure. Electric would be much less expensive, as effective, and requires much-less corner bracing, which will be difficult in wet ground. Be sure to buy heavy-gauge wire, don''t try to cheap-it-out.

I always try to use T-bar or wood fence posts for any stock-containing fence that I build (as opposed to pipe, for instance). Reason being is that there are a variety of electric fence insulators available that clip-on to the T-bar or nail-on to wood.

In that respect, pipe posts are much more difficult to work with.

Rust deterioration is also something to consider. I suggest you look at the products offered by www.sanitred.com They have several urethane-based products that seem to be very durable, easy to use, and highly UV resistant.

I would paint the fenceposts before I ever set them. If you use pipe, dip the posts so you coat the inside as well. If you do it right the first time, it should last many years.
mikeg
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 5:30:28 PM

You don''t want your stock in the area any way fence around the wet area and just run a single wire to the corner so every one knows where the real corner is.
Saray
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2003 5:30:28 PM

I have a corner of my property that has standing water on it. How do I install fence posts in 2 feet of water. Any sugestions would really help
Thanks