Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

conduit bender Options
loikaw
#1 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2003 2:13:35 AM

No links to plans off the top of my head, but I do remember reading that to prevent conduit (or pipes) from collapsing when bending them to slide a piece of rope inside or fill it with
sand. Good luck!

The only link I have that is related:
Conduit domes:
http://www.desertdomes.com/tips.html
srj
#2 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2003 7:09:03 AM

it''s fairly simple if you have some metal workin skills,,,tall skinny is right on backing up the pipe wall if a tight bend will collapse ....try to help if can ..not a spert only made a livin @ metal work for 20 + yrs
TC ray
johnhagen
#3 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2003 12:40:38 PM

Go to your rental place and they rent conduit benders and you bend what you need in about 8 hr for 25.00$
bushwack
#4 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2003 4:36:56 PM

I found One hydraulic jack type conduit bender and two manual tube benders at Harbor Freight. Link below.

www.harborfreight.com/

And more but PRICEY ones at Northern, but use their catalog searches and see what ya find. Link Below

www.northerntool.com/

Johns rental idea would be quick and easy though.
hunter63
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2003 2:19:55 AM

How big of conduit are you planning on bending?
You can get a hand bender at any hardware or electrical parts house for 1/2 or 3/4 ", would be a pain if you have a lots of parts to bend, but $30 should do it. What about PVC, cheap, bends, lot of fitting for it. Cut with hacksaw and glue.
weeknee
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2003 11:15:40 AM

Thanx for the info,already knew about harbor freight.I plan on making large arcs and using as "rafters" covered in ferrow cement.I was thinking that would make a cheap roof.I dont trust plastic enough to use it for this application.
macloudd
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2003 12:56:40 PM

I did a search for Ferrocement(cuz I wuz iggernut an dint no wut itwuz).The link I found was pretty informative.Check it out.You may be able to accomplish your project from a different approach.
http://ferrocement.com/english.html
Belfrybat
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2003 12:00:41 AM

I seem to remember that MEN had plans for a conduit bender several years ago, but can''t remember even what year.

In a pinch, use a vehicle. Have a helper back up over the conduit while you hold it at an angle. Be sure you are on soft enough ground not to crush it. I bent two sections of 1" that way to complete a hoop style greenhouse that was missing two arches. Took a bit of trial and error, but we ended up with two with the right bent to them.
schultzbear
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 05, 2003 8:14:25 PM

its in the issue with the home made water wheel on the cover. id rent one as suggested above.
ajortolani
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 20, 2003 5:08:48 PM

Hi Weeknee,
My husband uses these constantly as he builds power plants & medical research facilities etc. and is involoved in all the Instrumentation & Mechanical of these. His suggestion to you is to go right to Ebay & search for a "GREENLEE" Conduit Bender for the size of the pipe you''re going to use. You could also try at "NECA" (National Electrical Contracting Association) as they have a newsletter & often have used tools for sale or links to. He says that is your best bet, Good luck
franagan
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 11:31:24 PM

Go to www.lostcreek.com they have 2 tubong benders for sale, i''m gonna try to ues the smaller one
skruzich
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2003 2:03:10 PM

you can make them out of rims from tires, like a riding lawnmower tire. Just weld a bar across the rim edges.
Steve
weeknee
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2003 2:03:10 PM

Does anyone know how to build one of those conduit benders they use for making greenhouse frames? Ive looked everywhere,but cant find the plans or even a description............thanx all