andydufresne
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 1:34:50 AM

YES
DanR
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 3:12:05 AM

Yes
bushwack
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 5:41:03 AM

Was telling a neighbor the other day, how a few years ago, I had to shoot my Dog.

The neighbor asked “Was he mad?

I said ‘ He weren’t pleased.’

So anyway this is a third and unanimous,

YES, Please and Thank You
StreetLegal
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 7:19:50 AM

The "yeses" prevail. Sorry, this got waaaaay long!

An aquaintance of mine purchased a run-down, 100+ section ranch a number of years ago. As part of the purchase, he also got the cattle that were already there. I agreed to help them gather and work the stock.

Seven of us trailered our horses to the far end of one pasture that measured 3+ miles wide and 6+ miles long, somewhere around 20 sections. The country was fairly flat where we started and gradually built into foothills at the other end. There were steep mountains beyond that. There was live water running the length of this particular pasture.

There were supposed to be 60 cow-calf pairs in this pasture. We made it all the way through by noon, and brought-out 40 cows...we had missed 20. We ate dinner, trailered our horses back to the starting point, and tried again. This time we brought out 6 more. We and our horses were dog-tired!

It was like trying to gather deer. These cattle hadn''t hardly been worked at all. They were mean, wild, smart, and knew the country. There were many three and four year-olds that had never been branded. They had no respect for us or our horses. They''d see us coming and take off running, most of the time all we could see was some dust a half-a-mile ahead. If you got too close, they''d turn and try to take you out!

The place was cut-up with arroyas, many were 10 feet wide and 15 feet deep...we''d have to dog those arroyas for sometimes half-a-mile to find a place to cross. We had to rope and tie several calves, and the mother-cows kept trying to circle back. Sometimes they''d just hide in the thick brush and watch us go by. It was tough.

Though I''ve never actually measured it, I always figured a horse would walk at a speed of about 3 miles per hour. By the time we got to the pens the second time, I had been in the saddle about 10 hours, and much of that time at a high lope. I know we easily covered 45 miles that day.

Late that afternoon, we were sorting the cows in the pens when my horse stumbled/slipped/fell and landed on my right lower leg. We got back up and kept working. I slept with my boot on that evening, I didn''t dare take it off because I knew I''d never get it back on. We rolled-out early the next morning and began working in the pens.

We had cut out a cow for some reason and didn''t have a pen to put her in, so we left her in the pen where the squeeze chute was located, right where we were working. She hadn''t given us any trouble, and we basically forgot about her.

It was all I could do to walk, so I was working the squeeze chute. The foreman''s wife had just brought dinner and had it set out for us. I had a piece of inch and a half pipe about 3 feet long in my right hand that I''d been using to block the cows in the chute. There was another man, Gerald (a neighbor) that had just entered the pen where I was and was walking toward the head-catch end of the chute. He had his back turned to the cow.

I turned and headed in Gerald''s direction. I looked up and saw the cow charging Gerald from behind, moving from (my) right to left. She wasn''t more than 10 feet from him, head down and closing fast. Gerald didn''t even realize she was there.

I hollered at Gerald and the cow, took one step forward towards the cow and swung the pipe with a backhand motion...all this at the same time. I hit the cow pretty hard on the point of the nose. She stopped and turned and faced me. She was pawing the ground, stirin'' up dust, slingin'' snot and blood...we weren''t more than 6 feet apart.

Now...I had ridden 45 hard miles the day before, crashed through mesquite and cactus, had almost been taken out by another cow down on the river, had a horse fall on me, my lower leg, ankle, and foot had swollen to fit my boot, had a pipe gate knocked into me, and had been put over the fence twice. It had been, as they say - "pretty western" - around there. I was tired, hungry, thirsty, hurtin'', and now I was mad!

Maybe the cow saw all of this in my eyes, maybe I projected a certain body-language - with that pipe cocked-back like a batter waiting for the pitch, or maybe she understood I meant-it when I said in a surprisingly calm voice "You come at me and I''ll kill you!". She turned and headed for the far side of the pen.

I heard Gerald, under his breath, say to himself "Wheeeeew!", and saw him shake his head as he was walking away. I got my food and sat down on the ground in the shade of a fencepost. A ranch-hand named John sat down close by. I was minding my own business, eatin'' my dinner, and beginning to wonder if there were any bones in my lower leg that weren''t broken, when I heard John say something.

I looked at him and said "Pardon??". John wasn''t one to waste words. He said "I seen what you did...I seen the whole thing. No one else seen it, but I did". I had no idea what he was talking about. I must''ve had a puzzled look on my face, `cause he said "You saved Gerald''s life just now".

That caught me off-guard...I said half-jokingly "You think??". He said "I know...that cow had `im dead-to-rights...if it hadn''t been a horn in the back that killed `im, it woulda'' been the slam against the fence".

I thought for a moment and said "Well, I expect he''d `a done the same for me". Nothing more was said.

Three weeks later, I walked into a bar and met Gerald eye-to-eye as he was leaving...HAH!...LOL...He didn''t even recognize me!

Oh well...I didn''t want to be a hero anyway! :)
jdcox
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 6:15:34 PM

It''s a bit like a tree falling in the forest with no one around. Does it still make a noise? Well, whether Gerald noticed or not, the heroics were there. The medal is yours anyway. The audience was just a bit small is all.
StreetLegal
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2003 6:15:34 PM

Anyone want to hear it?? It would be a little longer than the first one.

I'll need two confirming yes votes...and I'll consider anything but "yes" a "no".