Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Bug zapper Options
Galeshka
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2004 4:11:35 PM

The only bad thing about bug zappers, DanR, is that they actually tend to draw more bugs....something about the light frequency. (A study was done and this was the result) It''s a good idea if you want even more bugs to feed to your chickens, but I wouldn''t put it where you''re going to sit in the evenings.
DanR
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2004 6:21:59 PM

I was just interested in geting some "free" protein for the birds. If they draw insects, then place it away from where you plan to sit. I do know of a smal boy who just loved to sit and watch the bugs get zapped. To him it was great fun.
skruzich
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 02, 2004 8:18:14 PM

Ahhh bug zappers, good clean southern enteratainment. :) A six pack of beer and a big ole june bug in a zapper. ;)

Dan, the bug zappers would not leave much good protein in the carcass as it totally frys the bug leaving nothing much but a shell and dust.

Now i run one all summer long as it eliminates the moth problem around here, kills up to one acre of bugs.
mikeg
#4 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 1:49:56 PM

The ones we had at work were emptied once a month and there were a few chunks in there at times. I have some used ones I plan to hang above my lake when I get electric there, I don''t see why it wouldn''t work above the chicken coupe.
mikeg
#5 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 1:52:21 PM

Forgot, you should leave the drawer out and bottom off so it feeds as it kills.
DanR
#6 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2004 1:52:21 PM

Has anyone used a "bug zapper" to collect bugs to feed to chickesn? It might be a cheep way to provide some high quality proteen for the birds. Just a thought.