Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Hi, new here Options
mikeg
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 04, 2003 2:59:18 PM

Real back woods part of the state (a good thing) lots of state and national ground close in all directions. Buffalo river (outstanding piece of water) and Bull sholes lake, your right between them. Mtn Home is close by it has kind of gone condo and Flippin is 5 to 7 miles from there, I think that is where they make all of the ranger bass boats. Branson Mo. is 50 miles north for lots of entertainment. I think you found a winner.[:D]
earthmom1016
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:11:17 PM

Hi Mikeg,thanks for the info, we still have to sell out house here,but will certainly check the area out. Earthmom
andydufresne
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2003 5:54:27 AM

Also nearby is Blanchard Springs Caverns and the North Sylamore Creek Trail.

A 14 mile hiking trail. You can do it in a day and half if you are in reasonable shape. YOu start at Allison and go through the Caverns park and two other Rec areas good for camping.

The state lovely and that is one of the better parts.
mikeg
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2003 5:41:49 PM

My wife and I are planning a trip to this area for a weeks vacation in May, after thinking about this post we decided to go back again. Says a lot for an area if people want to return and spend there vacation time in an area like this.
oliviakerwin
#5 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2003 11:08:46 PM

Arkansas is a great state to live in! The land is also very reasonably priced. I am from that area and hope to move back.
Paul™
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2003 5:05:46 PM

Check out http://www.ozarkland.com

No money down, no closing costs, 9% interest for 15 years...parcels located in S Missouri and N Arkansas.
Terri
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2003 8:32:21 PM

Everybody knows everybody. Get along with your neighbors if you can, because if you don''t everyone and their cousin will hear the details. Also, remember who gives you a hand with help or a recipe or wise advice, and mention it sometime to someone. People DO like to talk! It doesn''t hurt if you make your friends look good.

Arkansas really is just about the most beautiful state in the union, and your neighbors really will help you if there is trouble.

Arkansas is also one of the poorest states in the union: you may need to lock your door while you are in the field, because sometimes the very poor people will steal.

It''s a very good place to live.
sbneok
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 06, 2003 12:00:16 AM

Hi, Earthmom! We are in Northeast OK (south of Vinita). Unless you are moving around Yelleville for a specific reason (family, jobs) you should check out this area. The area is, of course, a little flatter than the deep Ozarks, but we are at the edge of them so we get a nice combo between hills/high ridges and farm/pasture land. We moved here two years ago from Colorado to raise our kids in a rural area that was motivated to stay afloat. The area is growing nicely, but has little chance of getting too big. Grand Lake of the Cherokees is right here for fun, but we found 80 acres of good land off the lake with a decent 3yo 3bd/2ba home for 150ish.

The good old boy network is here, but not as necessary to deal with. The main thing we need are more of us like minded folk. Some great organic farms are in the area and all throughout OK. The Kerr Center in Pouteau is a fantastic area specific resource for just about anything you would want to do with your land.

Oklahoma is also very easy to deal with in the family area. Homebirths and homeschooling are common in many areas. We have a lot of freedom with our decisions about raising our children. (I don''t know Arkansas well enough to compare.)

Hopefully your search and move go well! If you come for a drive through here, feel free to email me!

Stephanie
mikeg
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 05, 2003 11:46:40 PM

Back from the vacation and I will say it is still a pretty place but watch where you end up, man there are some rocks in that part of the country. When you go house hunting and want to have a garden take a spade with you to do some testing. Our dog got sore feet walking around on all the rocks. I''m sure it''s not all like that but if you get up on a hill most likely hat is what you may find.
Countrygal
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2003 4:10:55 PM

I''m new here but was born and raised in SW Mo and have lived the last 15 years in NW Arkansas.I love both states for all sorts of reasons but if you live there ....,there will be rocks! Lots of rock! It''s like the tornadoes, you just learn to live with them. My dad''s family has been farming in Mo since 1837. No typo. The same farm for almost 100 years. The earlier farms within 2-3 miles of that one. They have always done okay. Where Stephanie lives south of Vinita is great country too.
bushwack
#11 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 5:53:33 AM

Welcome along Countrygal.

Up here in New Hampshire we have it pretty rocky too. Good soil but stony as H*ll, Pick a size, from as small Lima Beans to the size of a truck tire. And that’s just in our garden. Else where bigger. The whole truck.

My question is. After 100 years of farming does the soil still sprout a new crop rock every year.
I often wonder if the idea of ‘Ornamental Rock Gardens’ got it’s start in New England.

Oh, it must be nice to have your family roots so deeply planted.
mikeg
#12 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 3:23:02 PM

At the farm machinery show this past year they had piece of equipment that you run thru the fields and it pickes up the stone in tilled ground. Might be a good money maker for some one, figure out how much it costs plus the tractor time and charge by the acre. sell the stone as a by product.
BisbeeBob
#13 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 7:19:03 PM

Hi all,
This is the first time on this site for me and aI am so excited to find it. As many of you ,Bob and I are looking to relocate in a area that offeres clean water,outdoor beauty,and like-minded folks. We have been all over the states 10,0000 miles and 23 states. we ended up in Bisbee ,Az. due to the liberal attitude and the lax building codes. It is just too dry. We are looking hard at the N. Arkansas area and would love more info and opinions on the Mt. View,Heber Springs ,and Bull Shoals areas or anything similar that offers a chance to burrow into a community,build an alternative home and live a SIMPLE life. I lived 10 years in Mexico and Bob lived on his 31ft. trimaran for 15. Both of us know how to live simply and want so bad to return to that way of life. Any and all opinions,ideas,ext. welcome. We have no kids,no debt,and are flexable and free to move. both of us have portable skills. Thanks for your time ,will wait for your responses.Karen and Bisbee bob
mikeg
#14 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2003 8:48:13 PM

How about a house boat on Bull Shoals or Kentucky lake if you want to move around?
bjdoan@myfam.com
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2003 4:37:11 AM

I don''t know anything about Arkansas except my hubby lived there till he was 4 and he loved it. I''m a Fl. native, but lived in upper part of S. Car. I can''t wait to get out of Florida. It is too hot and too crowded. I never knew there were real seasons till we lived in the Carolinas. We visited Springfield, Missouri in 98 and it is beautiful.
jinxd
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2003 3:01:07 PM

Ilive in south central illinois,native of New England ,and Southern Missouri or Northern Arkansas are definately worth looking into ,Beautiful country ,I myself have been driving that area for day trips ,just a curiosity drive, and am so impressed with the land and clear water(for lack of rock in water ways here brings MUD WATER).I hit the Chamber of Commerce websites and they will send you any info you would like free.. good luck
George Parsons
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2003 3:06:31 AM

I''ve was on this forum all last winter but don''t open it very often during summer time. It''s daylight out I won''t be inside, except maybe a short nap after dinner (in Mex. a siesta). I''ve always said that N Ark & S MO in other words the Ozarks are a good place to homestead. Clean water, for the most part, good neighbors, timber & open space.

My best nominee tho for homesteading is the northern Ozarks. Get into a little better farmground a "few" less rocks, still good timber, good water. Look in the tier of countiies on each side of the MO River from Hwy 5 and east to Franklin and Warren Counties. Just something else to think about. That part of Ark you''re talking about is pretty but lots of rocks and mostly poor soils.
Galeshka
#18 Posted : Sunday, August 03, 2003 9:46:39 PM

Hello everyone, my husband and I just found this site and are thrilled. We currently live in Indiana but have been looking around for a site slightly further south. (My husband is from cool Scotland but has become addicted to the warmer weather, lol.) I was delighted to read this post because we, too, have been thinking about the Ozark area......land prices are skyrocketing in this area and while there is a growing homeschooling, earthfriendly population there are also a lot of bars put in the way of developing a truly independent way of life. I look forward to reading more interesting, educational posts.

Be well...
jdcox
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 03, 2003 10:54:01 PM

It simply does not get any better than the Pacific Northwest. Olympic Peninsula (Port Townsend) for a start. Maybe Friday Harbour on the San Juans. But BC is better. And, to be fair, I have a bias against anyplace more than 10 miles from the Sea so take my advice with a spray of salt.
earthmom1016
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 03, 2003 10:54:01 PM

Hi everyone, my family currently lives in Fla. We are looking at some properties in northern Ark.(around Yelleville) Does anyone know anything about the area? Thanks. Earthmom 1016