Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

chickens per coop Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 29, 2004 6:26:51 AM

The Question is now moot. As I have come up with a less expensive, roomier, and easier to build coop (actually read about a slightly similar idea, and after some thought and changes came up with a new coop from it).

If you want to see the basic idea I posted some crude drawings at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mearth_news/

In dropkick folder -it is the 2nd coop idea posted.(ignore this the 1st drawing is now deleted - editing)

Obviously not all the details in my drawing, but enough to get basic idea.
Will need some additions if I use it for winter (easy) and change of tarps at end of season (on roof for weather protection)
Anyway it is what I''m going with.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 29, 2004 3:25:21 PM

dropkick, two things.
1. board floor is ok, but unnecessary. Better really to have a dirt floor with hay on it. And the second thing is instead of using plywood or tarps, why not use tin for the walls, they might be cheaper, definiately lighter.
Steve
dropkick
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 29, 2004 7:52:28 PM

Thanks for the input Steve.

The reason I was thinking of using a board on the floor was to ease cleaning -- raking out over the chicken wire bottom might be a problem.
(chicken wire is to keep out digging animals and make structure slightly stronger)

Doesn''t have covered walls just a hinged roof (sorry, could have made my picture clearer- came up with the thought and just quickly rough sketched).
Short walls are chicken wire too. Will only cover them if the weather demands it.
The roof is hinged for ease of access, and then covered with one of those cheap blue tarps to protect from the weather.
My first idea was to use tar paper - but I think this is better as it will hold up better at the seam and also serve to "anchor" the building (guy lines) somewhat.
But possibly tin might work better for the roof (not sure how I would work the seam where it is hinged though.
Ideas?
dropkick
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 29, 2004 7:52:28 PM

Building some coops, they are going to be about 3'x6' by 3' tall.
Making them so that they can be moved around. Haven't determined how big the fenced yards are going to be yet.
May mostly free range anyway (depends on how much the local hawks and other wildlife contribute to my efforts).
They will only need to be in the coops to lay and sleep.
Anyway my question is;
How many chickens do you think should go in each coop?