Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

any ideas? Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:42:33 AM

Is there a local feed store where you can put up a notice to sell extras?  Where are you ordering from? 

Just noticed that you said 100 'of either sex'.  If you just want hens, in all honesty I would go with pullets, not straight run (both sexes).  You can guarantee that at least 50% will be roosters, and you can't tell them apart for a few months.  Unless you plan to eat the extra roosters...

CarolKay
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:16:53 PM

I hadn't thought of the feed store!!! that is a great idea. And after I posted last night , I too, thought about the straight run versus the pullets.  I am just excited I guess.  In a few years I would love to be at that level, so I could order 100 at a time.  I want to eventually, rely on myslef for my chicken needs, with all the nonsense of what they feed the chickens , and treat the chickens commercially, I feel the quicker I can rely on myself as to what my family eats the better.

So that being said, I am either going with Mt. Healthy, or Ridgeway.  Ridgeway I can get the 25, Mt Healthy, I have to go with 15 or 30. Which both is workable.

Thanks again!!!

Frosty
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:12:08 PM

I have never heard of Ridgeway, might have to check them out... I have ordered broiler chickens and turkeys from Mt Healthy... I was pleased with the quality and they are wonderful.  I ordered turkeys from them last year, good old USPS took longer than they should have in shipping.  I called Mt Healthy in a panic to make sure that they were actually sent.  They told me to call back the next day if I still didn't see them.  The next day had a different delivery person than usual, and she didn't call me (even though the box said 'call on arrival' and it was highlighted).  She put the poor poults in he vehicle and drove around with them all day, and it was hot out.  7 out of 17 dead on arrival, it was Saturday.  Called the hatchery to let them know they had arrived and about the dead ones (and a few didn't look good), they told me to call back on Monday with the final tally.  Lost two more within a few hours.  Called Mt Healthy Monday AM to say that we lost 9 total, they put 10 in the mail that day.  So out of the 15 that I actually ordered, plus the extras they sent both times, I ended up with 18 turkeys.  I called the local PO and voiced my displeasure that they didn't call.  I ordered fom Ideal this year because they have the Black East Indie ducklings... so I have 50 chickens and 5 ducklings shipping out next week on their way here.  Can't wait!!!  What state are you in?

Shirley in ND

CarolKay
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:07:56 PM

I live in ohio, and that is why I chose both those hatcheries. Actually ridgeway is closer,, I could drive and pick them up if I wanted, which I probably will do because I am a little apprehensive of having those poor chicks suffer, as yours did.  Mt. Healthy will be a bit more of a drive, so since I am going with the small batch, I will probably pick ridgeway.
Frosty
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:14:40 PM

I envy you for that... we don't have any hatcheries in this state that I know of.  There used to be a small hatchery in the town that I am closest to, they hatched some birds and had some shipped in.  The old guy that owned it sold it, the guys that bought it didn't know anything about poultry and didn't seem interested in learning and the place closed.  I am toying with the idea of learning to run a business and opening a hatchery. 
CarolKay
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:14:40 PM

Hi,

I am getting ready to order chicks for the first time since I was a child.  Here is my question.  If i get the  "suprise bag" which you don't know what varieties or how many of either sex, I can get them for about 43 cents a piece including delivery.  The down side is I have to order 100.  I can only swing about 25 right now.  But to get 25 hens, I am going to have to pay about the same price.  I don't have any neighbors or family or friends that want any chicks, however they are happy to take some of my eggs once they are laying.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and deal with paying for times as much for the 25?  Any input would be appreciated.

Carol Kay

Bradeen
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:04:48 AM

For this purpose you can get the services of experts.No doubt in these days a lot of different pest removal companies are provide different services to removes pests. Is there a local feed store where you can put up a notice to sell extras? Where are you ordering from? What is your opinion about it share your thinking about it. for more information you can visit the link below